Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #1 
Kiara1125

Betta with Clamped Fins

Hello all; my VT, Cronus, recently has very clamped fins. The tips of his anal, dorsal, and caudal fins are clamped together -- as well as his pelvic fins, but they're completely clamped. This happened within the last week and I'm not sure what's wrong. He's a young betta, so I'm not sure if its stress or what. I have him in a 10g divided tank with 3 other male bettas. Nothing has changed for 2 months and they don't even flare at each other anymore -- that stopped a month ago). Two other bettas are older, and one younger. They seem to be doin fine and are as happy as ever. Nothing in the environment or water parameters has changed. I do weekly 30% water changes and the plants take care of a LOT of things. The ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are 0. I've had people say that this means that the tank is cycling and etc., but I've had this tank set up for over a year now (and I'm an experienced aquarist in the betta department at 4 years) and the water quality is really good. I told you, the plants and benificial bacteria work wonders in a tank, haha. Anyways, any reason why he could be clamped up? He's only about a year old -- and like I said, I have a 3 year old, a 2 year old, and an 8 month old in the tank with him.

Thanks if you read this far, so much typing! xD
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #2 
LostxinthexMusic

You already provided most of the information in it, but could you fill out the sticky for more organized and easy-to-find information? Some pictures would be helpful, too. Hard to make an accurate diagnosis without all the info. Thanks!
LostxinthexMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:31 AM   #3 
Kiara1125

Thought that I provided enough, but ok ...

Housing
What size is your tank? 10g
What temperature is your tank? 76F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes -- sponge
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Filter
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Divided tank with 3 other bettas

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Variety -- usually Hikari
How often do you feed your betta fish? 4 pellets daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week -- more often now that he's sick
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30-40%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Stress Coat -- now a bit of API Aquarium Salt as well

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0->10
pH: 7.8
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Clamped fins and loss of color
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not eating and lethargy
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Less than a week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? More frequent water changes along with extra Stress Coat and adding Aquarium Salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? About a year to a year and a half
Old 05-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #4 
Kiara1125

Here's a pic of Cronus as of today. I moved him to a separate bowl to treat him better.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:52 AM   #5 
tngirl92

The not eating and lethargy are what worries me the most. Does he seem to be struggling to swim or struggling to get to the top for air? My betta had a problem last month with inflamed gills/some kind of gill disease and a bacterial infection. Do you see any red streaks in your fish's scales? Keep in mind that I am relatively new to fishkeeping, but I think if I were in your situation and the only symptoms I was noticing were the clamped fins, lethargy, and failure to eat, I would not treat with an aggressive antibiotic outright. I would continue to keep him in clean water and treat more holistically with Stresscoat and some kind of supplement, like Bettafix. If you notice more troubling symptoms, like struggling to swim, streakiness, popeye, etc., then I would begin treating more aggressively.
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:27 AM   #6 
Kiara1125

Bettafix usually isn't good because it can make it difficult for bettas to use their labyrinth. He swims around ok and just sits around. His clamped fins are stiff, so I wonder what's up with that ...