Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #1 
Hidden Username

Please help me with my almost-dying betta

My betta fish ahd been doing fine for the last few days, while yesterday and today it has been acting weird. It has been doing this since the night I fed it and it started the next morning. It seemed powerless and almost going to die and I really don't want that to happen as I love this little friend. It was a very active fish that blew bubbles and played with me, and now it is all....dead-like :'(
I have moved it from its 5 gallon tank to a smaller 0.5 gallon tank, just in case.

Please, help me. I made a video just in case--> http://videobam.com/YPwim

Here is a picture:

Last edited by Hidden Username; 05-27-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Hidden Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Aww poor thing!

Okay you need to lower the water line down a lot so that he can get to the surface to breathe, without getting to the surface, Betta's can suffocate.

Second, can you fill out this sticky as if he was still in his 5 gallon?

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #3 
Jexx

omg poor guy! Yes you need to lower the water waaay down like maybe right to the top f that little thing he is sitting in. he can barely life his head let alone actually swim to the top. at lease if the water was only and inch or 2 deep all he would need to do is life his head and breath. of course you are gonna need to change the water frequently. Is he eating at all? are his pectorals moving? did anything at all happen?
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #4 
Hidden Username

I have reduced the water to a fairly low level. No usual movements, just the breath-for-life swimming to the top thing. Also, the fish is now sitting in a bended manner now ;/

I will be filling out that form soon.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #5 
Jexx

i'm so sorry :( poor guy he does look like he was fairly healthy guy and very pretty too!
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #6 
Hidden Username

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? I use a heater, unknown temps
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once every 2 days

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every 3 weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Nutrafin Aqua Plus

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? A bit white in the head section
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He does not move, he is now in a bended "Seating" formation
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 days ago and I fasted him for those 2 days
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I fed him quarter of a pea. He won't eat more :(
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No(He turns white when we once left for the day and it became dark)
How old is your fish (approximately)? About 1.2 years
Old 05-28-2013, 03:23 AM   #7 
tngirl92

Others here may have better advice, but for me personally I would keep that water level low and begin treating with an aggressive, broad-spectrum antibiotic. Like I have advised two others here this morning, the Marcyn combo has worked wonders for me in the past for things from minor fin rot to columnaris. I cannot identify what your boy has based on what you describe, but I can guarantee that moderate salt-and-clean-water treatments will probably not fix it at this point. Go for something that covers a wide, wide range of fishy problems and hope for the best. Again, more experiences fish keepers may have different or more specific advice.
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #8 
Hidden Username

I fed peas to him, according to http://velvetdragon.com/bettas/sbd.html

Not much has changed(Has been 12 hours)
Old 05-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

He's most likely have swim bladder issues because of his diet. I'm going to assume that they were Freeze-dried Bloodworms and not Frozen Bloodworms. Yes, they are high in protein but they lack every other nutrient that a Betta needs. It's comparable to humans eating red meat every single days for all three meals, it's not good.

It also promotes constipation which could be what's bothering your boy right now and with his bloat, one of his organs could be pressing up against his swim bladder, making him unable to swim properly.

Something else I would like to comment on but doesn't necessarily have to do with his problem right now, but for the future, you need to be doing at least a 25% water change on their tanks every week. There are many bad things that will build up and start to hurt your boy or any fish you have in there.

Anyway, have you seen him poop at all or seen the substance? It should be orange/brown and kind of curly and solid.

As far as treatment, you should go out to get some Epsom salt, you can find it at wal-mart or any pharmacy in the first aid section generally. It is Magnesium Sulfate, get one with no additives and no scent.

If you've got an old 1 gallon jug of milk or water that's been empty you can use this to mix up your solution. Or you can just get a container and 16 cups of water is 1 gallon.
  • Take 3 teaspoons of Epsom salt (don't use just any sort of salt, that could result it disastrous things), and mix it into the 1 gallon of water you've got.
  • Add in about a cup from that solution to his water, let set about 10-15 minutes.
  • Take out a cup from his water and pour in another cup (be careful that you don't pour too fast or hard, it could just blow him around and I'm sure he wouldn't appreciate that lol)
  • Repeat the above step three more times to make it completely the Epsom solution but keep his water low enough that he can reach the surface.
  • Everyday you're going to do a 100% change on his water, using the solution you've mixed up.
  • So if you can, scoop him out with a cup and set him aside, with tank water in the cup.
  • Dump out the old water and rinse under tap.
  • Pour in more of the solution to his tank, enough that he can still breathe.
  • Set his cup to float in the water to get adjusted to the temperature, let set for 15 minutes.
  • Add in a tablespoon of his new water to his cup, one every 10-15 minutes, after about 5 tablespoons you can release him into his tank gently, pour all water into the tank as well from his cup.
  • Repeat that until you see that he either doesn't have trouble swimming and/or starts to slim down.
  • Do not feed him during this time, Epsom salt works as a laxative, both in humans and fish, so we're trying to flush out his system here so he can swim properly again.

I suggest you go out and buy a high quality pellet like Omega One or New Life Spectrum, it's going to help him out greatly once he can swim again. One the pellet you can feed him about 2-3 every day, you can still feed the Freeze-dried bloodworms but as a treat, maybe once a week.

I hope this helps and if you've got any questions about anything, feel free to ask!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #10 
Hidden Username

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
He's most likely have swim bladder issues because of his diet. I'm going to assume that they were Freeze-dried Bloodworms and not Frozen Bloodworms. Yes, they are high in protein but they lack every other nutrient that a Betta needs. It's comparable to humans eating red meat every single days for all three meals, it's not good.

It also promotes constipation which could be what's bothering your boy right now and with his bloat, one of his organs could be pressing up against his swim bladder, making him unable to swim properly.

Something else I would like to comment on but doesn't necessarily have to do with his problem right now, but for the future, you need to be doing at least a 25% water change on their tanks every week. There are many bad things that will build up and start to hurt your boy or any fish you have in there.

Anyway, have you seen him poop at all or seen the substance? It should be orange/brown and kind of curly and solid.

As far as treatment, you should go out to get some Epsom salt, you can find it at wal-mart or any pharmacy in the first aid section generally. It is Magnesium Sulfate, get one with no additives and no scent.

If you've got an old 1 gallon jug of milk or water that's been empty you can use this to mix up your solution. Or you can just get a container and 16 cups of water is 1 gallon.
  • Take 3 teaspoons of Epsom salt (don't use just any sort of salt, that could result it disastrous things), and mix it into the 1 gallon of water you've got.
  • Add in about a cup from that solution to his water, let set about 10-15 minutes.
  • Take out a cup from his water and pour in another cup (be careful that you don't pour too fast or hard, it could just blow him around and I'm sure he wouldn't appreciate that lol)
  • Repeat the above step three more times to make it completely the Epsom solution but keep his water low enough that he can reach the surface.
  • Everyday you're going to do a 100% change on his water, using the solution you've mixed up.
  • So if you can, scoop him out with a cup and set him aside, with tank water in the cup.
  • Dump out the old water and rinse under tap.
  • Pour in more of the solution to his tank, enough that he can still breathe.
  • Set his cup to float in the water to get adjusted to the temperature, let set for 15 minutes.
  • Add in a tablespoon of his new water to his cup, one every 10-15 minutes, after about 5 tablespoons you can release him into his tank gently, pour all water into the tank as well from his cup.
  • Repeat that until you see that he either doesn't have trouble swimming and/or starts to slim down.
  • Do not feed him during this time, Epsom salt works as a laxative, both in humans and fish, so we're trying to flush out his system here so he can swim properly again.

I suggest you go out and buy a high quality pellet like Omega One or New Life Spectrum, it's going to help him out greatly once he can swim again. One the pellet you can feed him about 2-3 every day, you can still feed the Freeze-dried bloodworms but as a treat, maybe once a week.

I hope this helps and if you've got any questions about anything, feel free to ask!
Thanks for the useful info. I will get some Epson salt, and Omega One Betta Buffet pellets soon within 1 day.