Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #11 
Skyewillow

I totally adore him either way, if you decide to keep him, I'm going to have a long distance relationship with your fish! LOL ^_^ <3 He's too adorable, and I'm not sure why I find him so Squee, to be honest.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #12 
justmel

Lol, if nothing else you can be Quazi's Aunty!
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #13 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmel View Post
Lol, if nothing else you can be Quazi's Aunty!
exactly! I would be his biggest fan and proudest aunty EVER!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #14 
justmel

Zababa

I've only had Zababa a week today. Last Saturday I stopped by the pet store to ask about getting a few bag for shipping some bettas. They were very busy, so I took a minute to look at the bettas which I had been steadily avoiding for over a month so I wouldn't bring any home. To my amazement I found 3 males in 1 tank! One looked ok, it was hiding in the rocks and plants and didn't look to damaged. The other two had picked corners in the front of the tank. They would sit there watching each other a minutes, then one or the other would attack.

I was really dumbfounded. I knew this pet store knew nothing about bettas (the same place I got Pan & Bellona), but this was beyond stupid. I was sick to my stomach and close to tears because I knew I didn't have the money to bring even one of these poor boys home, but I couldn't just walk away and leave them to kill each other. My fiance, Brad, took pity on me & said I could get two of them as long as 1 was the better looking orange one. I didn't argue with him and quickly got a sales person to scoop out two of these boys. I picked the orange as Brad specified and the worst looking of the two fighters.

The employee volunteered the story of what happen. They have 3 staggered tanks, one a few inches about the other, in a row they keep their plants in. He said that they guy who had released them obviously didn't realize that any fish put in one tank would wash through the over flow holes in the side to the next tank until all the fish were in the last of the 3 tanks. This employee didn't seem surprised that three bettas were in that one tank though, so if he knew it had happen why didn't he fix it earlier? I'm not saying he did know, maybe I was the first to see it.

I brought them home and first pulled the orange one out of the bag and my mom's mouth dropped open. Remember, this one was not visibly damaged, and claimed in right away. Being her birthday I told her once I was sure he was ok I'd let her have them. Then I brought the other poor boy out of the bag & my mom wanted to cry as much as I did. I started acclimating them both, very slowly.

Fuji (the orange VT) ended up have scraps and missing scales from staying hidden & 1 small rip in his caudal. He seems to be doing ok, but I'm really not sure. He refuses to eat. I got some live brine shrimp this week on skye's recommendation and he ate them right up, but he won't touch pellets or frozen food. Don't know how long it should take to see the scales mending, but no sign of that yet either.

The other betta, my poor boy, didn't make it. He died over night and although I didn't have him long I cried. I felt good to know that at least in his last few hours he didn't have to worry about being attacked, but was heart broken that I wasn't in time to save him.

I took a water sample to the pet store and they didn't question me. When I said 1 I had bought yesterday died over night & I wanted the third boy if he was still alive they scooped him up and dumped him in the water I had brought in with me. They didn't test the water or anything. Just scooped & dumped & sent me on my way. You could see the abrupt change bothered him and I just held him close and talked to him the whole way home. Even though he had been dumped in the water and his tank was the same (poor boy never made it into the tank. I acclimated them slowly & he died in his bowl) I still acclimated him. He ate 1 pellet by accident when I first feed him. He didn't mean to eat it, he attacked it and he had no choice. After that he didn't eat for 4 or 5 days, but when he started eating it was 8 pellets at a time. He's so funny now when I feed him. He has to flare at every pellet before he will eat it. It's flare...chop...flare...chop...flare...chop. He's still looking for his former tanks mates and ready to fight. I don't think he will ever go into even a divided tank. I think he is going to need to be a solitary fish, but I can work with that and give him what he needs.

Here's Zababa
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #15 
xShainax

Hm...here is Alois. He has chronic fin rot which I have been trying to get rid of so badly. Nothing special, your run of the mill cellophane DT. I rescued him from Petco and got a dollar off.
Attached Images

xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #16 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmel View Post
I've only had Zababa a week today. Last Saturday I stopped by the pet store to ask about getting a few bag for shipping some bettas. They were very busy, so I took a minute to look at the bettas which I had been steadily avoiding for over a month so I wouldn't bring any home. To my amazement I found 3 males in 1 tank! One looked ok, it was hiding in the rocks and plants and didn't look to damaged. The other two had picked corners in the front of the tank. They would sit there watching each other a minutes, then one or the other would attack.

I was really dumbfounded. I knew this pet store knew nothing about bettas (the same place I got Pan & Bellona), but this was beyond stupid. I was sick to my stomach and close to tears because I knew I didn't have the money to bring even one of these poor boys home, but I couldn't just walk away and leave them to kill each other. My fiance, Brad, took pity on me & said I could get two of them as long as 1 was the better looking orange one. I didn't argue with him and quickly got a sales person to scoop out two of these boys. I picked the orange as Brad specified and the worst looking of the two fighters.

The employee volunteered the story of what happen. They have 3 staggered tanks, one a few inches about the other, in a row they keep their plants in. He said that they guy who had released them obviously didn't realize that any fish put in one tank would wash through the over flow holes in the side to the next tank until all the fish were in the last of the 3 tanks. This employee didn't seem surprised that three bettas were in that one tank though, so if he knew it had happen why didn't he fix it earlier? I'm not saying he did know, maybe I was the first to see it.

I brought them home and first pulled the orange one out of the bag and my mom's mouth dropped open. Remember, this one was not visibly damaged, and claimed in right away. Being her birthday I told her once I was sure he was ok I'd let her have them. Then I brought the other poor boy out of the bag & my mom wanted to cry as much as I did. I started acclimating them both, very slowly.

Fuji (the orange VT) ended up have scraps and missing scales from staying hidden & 1 small rip in his caudal. He seems to be doing ok, but I'm really not sure. He refuses to eat. I got some live brine shrimp this week on skye's recommendation and he ate them right up, but he won't touch pellets or frozen food. Don't know how long it should take to see the scales mending, but no sign of that yet either.

The other betta, my poor boy, didn't make it. He died over night and although I didn't have him long I cried. I felt good to know that at least in his last few hours he didn't have to worry about being attacked, but was heart broken that I wasn't in time to save him.

I took a water sample to the pet store and they didn't question me. When I said 1 I had bought yesterday died over night & I wanted the third boy if he was still alive they scooped him up and dumped him in the water I had brought in with me. They didn't test the water or anything. Just scooped & dumped & sent me on my way. You could see the abrupt change bothered him and I just held him close and talked to him the whole way home. Even though he had been dumped in the water and his tank was the same (poor boy never made it into the tank. I acclimated them slowly & he died in his bowl) I still acclimated him. He ate 1 pellet by accident when I first feed him. He didn't mean to eat it, he attacked it and he had no choice. After that he didn't eat for 4 or 5 days, but when he started eating it was 8 pellets at a time. He's so funny now when I feed him. He has to flare at every pellet before he will eat it. It's flare...chop...flare...chop...flare...chop. He's still looking for his former tanks mates and ready to fight. I don't think he will ever go into even a divided tank. I think he is going to need to be a solitary fish, but I can work with that and give him what he needs.

Here's Zababa
Aww. He's trying to be a tough guy in the last pic.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #17 
justmel

Cute, huh? He does that at every pellet during feeding time.

I love you DT. Reminds me a bit of my Mani who passed about a week ago. He had next to no color when I got him, but before he left he was a very pretty irid blue. He was marble & just never showed anything when I bought him.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #18 
xShainax

Despite his fin rot, Alois is a peppy guy. :)
Old 05-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #19 
justmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShainax View Post
Despite his fin rot, Alois is a peppy guy. :)
My daughter freaked when she saw his name. lmbo, mine are all named after various gods & goddesses due to here interest. She thinks Alois' name fits him well. :)
Old 05-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #20 
xShainax

xD I got it from Black Butler. I want to get a black female and call her Nyx after the goddess of the night