Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #1 
AquaKai

AquaKai's New Male Crowntail Betta

So today I was wandering around the LPS when I saw the betta section. I probably shouldn't have went there, but as all of these stories go... I did. I saw this really pathetic betta in a cup with not even enough water for it to be properly in water. I picked him up, he flared a bit and I put him back down. I strolled around the store a few times and kept coming back to him. An older gentleman (employee) came up to me and said that the betta had been there since 3 shipments ago (however long that is) and no one ha bought him, so they were just ignoring the fact that the fish was there. He told me I could have him for 75% off which brought him down to $1.50ish. I decided that I would do it. Now here I am with another one of these lovelies:)

I do believe that he has swim bloat. I have yet to had to deal with this. Any ideas? Also, any ideas on a name? I'll get some pictures up soon enough. I need to work on his tank. It was kind of a throw together thing...
AquaKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #2 
AquaKai

Here are the pictures:
First pic, in cup:

Top View:

Adapting to Water:

Decent picture:

Entire tank:

He's released:
Old 05-25-2013, 11:14 PM   #3 
Skyr

Oh, he's pretty. Congrats. Glad to see him out of so little water and into a good home.. :)
Skyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:46 AM   #4 
AquaKai

Thanks. I'm happy to see that he's out of the water as well. I'm still deciding where exactly to put him... I'm not sure if I want him still in that tank.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:14 AM   #5 
Bombalurina

He'll be very pretty when he heals up. :)

Since he's probably used to that tiny cup and nothing larger, there's a good chance he'll be massively freaked out by all that space, so you may want to pack it slightly more full of decorations so that he has plenty of places to hide. :) That will help keep his stress levels down, meaning faster recovery.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:01 AM   #6 
SerenaRena
Banned

aww that's so sad, it's great that you were able to give him a good home :)
SerenaRena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:02 AM   #7 
AquaKai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
He'll be very pretty when he heals up. :)

Since he's probably used to that tiny cup and nothing larger, there's a good chance he'll be massively freaked out by all that space, so you may want to pack it slightly more full of decorations so that he has plenty of places to hide. :) That will help keep his stress levels down, meaning faster recovery.
I will put some more decorations in later today. I might just put him in a smaller tank that I have. Make him feel a bit less stressed. I hope he turns out very pretty. I'd love to have a red/white/copper-green Crowntail. I can't wait to see his true colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenaRena View Post
aww that's so sad, it's great that you were able to give him a good home :)
Thanks! I'm happy I get to have him. He already seems to be settling in. I have him a few black worms and man, and you would have thought he had never been fed!

Pictures:

Old 05-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #8 
NeptunesMom

Seriously? They said they were just ignoring him because he wasn't selling!?!? You may want to file a complaint with the store manager. Even if they knew it was happening, it lets them know customers notice and care.
NeptunesMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #9 
AquaKai

I just may do that NeptunesMom. I don't know why I did not think of it sooner!
Well I put him in another tank and it turns out he doesn't like shrimp and so I put him in yet a different tank and rearranged some other fish. He seems to like this tank, but I want to get him another one because he looks so darn good against a black background and black sand!

He seems to be doing MUCH better than yesterday. Before he couldn't keep upright and could not swim. But now he is flying around his tank and is actually starting to blow little bubbles. Woot woot! He is happy!