Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #1 
soundwave

Long clear strings in tank?

Hi all. I noticed yesterday a long clear string in Merle's tank. I siphoned it up, and today when I was adding an item to his tank I noticed a lot of clear debris floating around. Some small, clear pieces and some long, hair-like clear strings. Some of the strings had bulges at the end of them. I did a small water change just now and siphoned up the bigger pieces. Is this a parasite or fungus? What should I do?

As a note, he's active, his appetite is fine and he has normal poop.
soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

How old is the tank? IME, a relatively new tank, less than 3 months old, there will be floaties as I call them. They will clear up over time. Having said that, I'm not sure what you're seeing as far as the stringy stuff. Anyway you can post a pic?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #3 
soundwave

The tank is only over a week old. No pics since I've cleaned up the stuff but if I see more I will get a pic. I'm thinking the clear strings are related to this slimy build up that develops on the rubber parts of my heater. I have a hunch it's caused by my cheap water conditioner. I'm switching to Seachem Prime next change.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

Sounds like its because its a new tank. My tanks without real plants did the same thing, I don't recall seeing it in my planted tanks while they were cycling. It took a few months for it to clear up in mine & I use nothing but Prime. A cycling tank goes through some odd phases.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #5 
soundwave

Thanks for replying! It's probably the cycle, yeah. I had to ask though to make sure it didn't sound like a red flag.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #6 
jadaBlu

If you notice this slime on his gills or body then you would want to be concerned so watch for that.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote