Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #21 
cowboy

Yes it does but its still too strong for a betta. I'm going to pull it out just to double check but I'm sure its on the lowest.

I'm going to pick up a silk plant and try to get one high enough to reach the in flow and keep that bootie on. He loved the turtle plant (I've now ruined it by trying to just keep a little piece over the flow but it didn't work). I thought fish were supposed to be easy? Once he's set up better and I put that stress coat in his tank I hope he will be ok
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #22 
Pearl2011

I just found the same filter you have and the foam in front of it very doable. I did that same thing when it was in one my tanks.

Your doing awesome with him :) The first year (or two) I had no clue what I was doing. Heck, I didn't even think about filters and had no clue what a heater was.
Pearl2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #23 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Lol fish are anything but easy! My 8 cats were so much easier than my one Betta fish! lol well that was back when we still had the kittens, back down to four now :)

My boy often hits his head on the heater and occasionally the filter intake and had the same thing your boy has. It's very easy to heal and will only take a few days with warm, clean water along with the Stress Coat. You can use any Stress Coat, doesn't have to be API, I use the one from Wal-Mart ^^

And as far as cycling goes, the "24 hour cycling period" is so much of a myth. The only thing you can do in a 24 hour period is make sure your filter and heater are working properly :)

But actually doing a cycle, a Nitrogen Cycle takes a little over a month. What you are doing is growing a colony of Beneficial Bacteria in your filter and on all the surfaces in your tank, those Bacteria or BB is what keeps your fish safe from levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. It took me a while to figure out what it was as well so no worries :)

However it would be helpful to either get a Master API liquid testing kit to keep an eye on your tank levels. When ammonia and/or nitrites get above 0, that's when you need to do a water change and while your tank is cycling they should never get above .25ppm when you have a fish in there, it can be very harmful to your boy.

Or you can run out and get Tetra Safe Start, basically it is a big bottle of BB and will keep your boy safe while you let your tank cycle for 2-3 weeks to grow your colony of BB.

I suggest you read the sticky's we have for the Nitrogen Cycle in the Betta Care and the Betta Habitat, tank and Bowl section. If you've got questions about it you can private message me or ask them here ^^

(P.S. Sorry for the novel of a reply lol)
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #24 
cowboy

I sure appreciate all your advice. Just got back from the pet store and joked if this don't work your taking your fish back! Ha ha yes I'm getting a tiny bit stressed. He has two new silk plants, 1 live one and a big bottle of stress coat. I will look at the other item that was recommended tomorrow, they are closed. Thanks again! Hope to have a picture of his new workable digs soon.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #25 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Great! That's fantastic! Betta's love to swim through plants and hide in them so I'm sure he'll absolutely love it! And of course I'm a huge advocate for live plants lol, so I totally am excited that you got a live one

What is the live plant called? Just wanted to make sure because Java Ferns and Anubias's cannot be completely buried in your gravel although I see you have larger river rocks? If it's one of those two, you could totally tie it to one of the plants and it would do great!

Yeah I hear you about the stress thing too, I was recovering the fish in my avatar from a mild Ich scare and then while he was at it, he bit off a chunk of his tail and then decided he wanted to rub against some plastic and it looked like your boy, just scratches on his head. Oh man, I was so infuriated with him, but he's all better now :)
Old 05-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #26 
cowboy

That's great news about your boy. I've just finished his tank and put stress coat in. I've wrapped the leaves of the silk plant around the tube to block the flow. Hes swimming great. Money well spent. Here's a picture. Pretty cool? For a beginner lol

This iPhone loves putting the picture sideways
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #27 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

The sword is new, is that the live plant you bought?
Old 05-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #28 
cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
The sword is new, is that the live plant you bought?

Yes the live plant is on the left and the silk is on the right. The grass is the same but its soft
Old 05-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #29 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
Yes the live plant is on the left and the silk is on the right. The grass is the same but its soft
Oh wait, the Sword is on the right, the big one, so that's silk? And then the darker green taller grass one is live then?
Old 05-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #30 
cowboy

I've put a circle around the live plant.
Attached Images