Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #11 
slug61

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellOh View Post
You could take your betta out, put him in a hospital tank to treat his fin rot, and just dose the 2.5 gallon with pure ammonia. That way your fish isn't harmed and your tank can finish its cycle.
Good idea, but, i don't have any other tank or ammonia.
slug61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #12 
slug61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kithy View Post
It's hard to say with cycling. Changing the water out shouldn't hurt cycling but I'm more concerned with your fish than the cycling :X Do you have a filter?
Changing the water before the 2 weeks is up DOES harm the cycle with TSS.
That's my problem.
Yes, i have a filter.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #13 
JellOh

Then put him in a clean vase/tubberware container/large bowl/his old cup/a cheap fish bowl. Anything other than his tank. You can get ammonia by growing some fish food into his tank and letting it decompose.
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #14 
slug61

Update

Quote:
Then put him in a clean vase/tubberware container/large bowl/his old cup/a cheap fish bowl. Anything other than his tank. You can get ammonia by growing some fish food into his tank and letting it decompose.
I just got a 1 gallon plastic bowl...i put in stresscoat+ and AQ salt..
the box said a rounded 1/2 teaspoon per gallon which is what I did.

Took me forever to get him out of his tank..he's a bit stressed but seems to have calmed down
I gave him 2 pellets which he ate easily.

I also added 5 pellets to the cycling 2.5g tank, i'm on day 8.

Is all this correct??
Old 05-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #15 
JellOh

Yup, just keep checking the water to make sure the ammonia level stays up. Once you're finished with the 14 days I'd dose the tank to ~3ppm ammonia and make sure it can change that from ammonia to nitrites to nitrates in 24 hours or less.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #16 
slug61

Quote:
Yup, just keep checking the water to make sure the ammonia level stays up. Once you're finished with the 14 days I'd dose the tank to ~3ppm ammonia and make sure it can change that from ammonia to nitrites to nitrates in 24 hours or less.
So adding 5/6 pellets per day is good?
Old 05-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #17 
slug61

On another board i've been told that it doesn't make sense to have taken him out of the 2.5 tank just to put him in a small 1 gallon.
they seem to think that the cycle will definitely crash anyway since there is not enough ammonia even with the food.

Now i'm more confused than ever?????

His tail fin has very slight black on a few edges...do i really need the AQ salt?

I think i've stressed him out more than is necessary, but, on the other hand I
would really like to have a cycled tank before July when we will be away for 8 days at a time (no one available to change water)
Old 05-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #18 
slug61

Also, where can you get ammonia in Ontario, Canada??
Old 05-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #19 
JellOh

Check the water, is the ammonia high enough to feed the growing bacteria? Ideally you'll want it at ~3-5 ppm. If it's too low then just add more pellets. I can understand your and the other forums reluctance to more to moving him, but he needs clean water for his fins to heal. Aquarium salt is something that really should be used. Your cycle won't crash instatantly. As long as the bacteria have ammonia to feed on then they be fine. For amonia the someplace like walmart or rite aid (or the Canadian equivalent).
Old 05-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #20 
slug61

Quote:
Check the water, is the ammonia high enough to feed the growing bacteria? Ideally you'll want it at ~3-5 ppm. If it's too low then just add more pellets. I can understand your and the other forums reluctance to more to moving him, but he needs clean water for his fins to heal. Aquarium salt is something that really should be used. Your cycle won't crash instatantly. As long as the bacteria have ammonia to feed on then they be fine. For amonia the someplace like walmart or rite aid (or the Canadian equivalent).
well, before i took him out it was only .25
i haven't checked it since i added the pellets.