Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2013, 06:24 PM   #1 
VegasShimmer

How do YOU deal with algae?

Just curious....I have two divided 10g planted tanks (not NPT, just planted in sand substrate), and I am struggling with keeping brown/reddish algae off the divider screen. I have a snail and two otos for each tank. They go on the screen every now and then, but not often enough. Tanks are fairly new at approximately one and two months, give or take. Flora lights stay on for approximately 10 hours a day.

I bought some Tetra Algae Control, but it said not to use in tanks under 3 months. More algae eaters? Bristlenose Pleco? Any suggestions?

In the pic, you can see the algae starting again on the screen. Excuse my Betta's appearance - we've had a rough week with fighting off fin rot (which I think may have been from the algae outbreak???)
Attached Images

VegasShimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #2 
eemmais

I would cut your light to 8 hours a day. I would also buy an algae scraper to clean the glass. If you want to add another algae eater, I recommend amano shrimp. They are very low biolad, and from what I've heard, they eat a lot of algae. Good luck, I know how annoying algae can be :/
eemmais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #3 
VegasShimmer

Will the amano shrimp climb the screen? I have zero algae issues anywhere else in the tank, except for the divider screen. It appears to be a magnet for algae.
VegasShimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #4 
eemmais

I'm not sure, I've neve had amano shrimp before. I don't know how much they cost, but if they aren't too expensive maybe you could buy one or two and get more later if they do climb the screen? Nerite snails are also good algae eaters, and though I've never had a nerite snail my mystery and pond snails climb my divider screen all the time.
eemmais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #5 
lilyth88

Nerite Snails and Amano Shrimp
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #6 
lilyth88

Yes, Amano Shrimp will climb the divider. Mine go everywhere.

And I'm almost positive he couldn't get fin rot from algae. Algae is fine. Don't use a chemical algae remover in a planted tank.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #7 
Kithy

At first I freaked out and got a snail. He lasted a year. In my 20g (from when I had to downgrade from my 55g) I have an albino bristlenose pleco. I have nothing in my 10g for algae and not even worrying about it in my 5g.

For the most part algae is kind of harmless. There are some that are bad or that come up as a sign that something else is wrong (I had brown algae forever when my ammonia and nitrites were high). If it gets unsightly on the sides or the front I scrape it off at my scheduled water change. After that I don't give much thought into it.

If it bothers you then definitely cut your light time down, as eemmais suggested. If you can't turn them on and off at the same times everyday I would suggest a timer.

I'm not sure if a shrimp can climb that well or not. A snail might be able to deal with the screen but I'm not sure. Scraping it off and siphoning it might be the easiest way to handle it.
Kithy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #8 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kithy View Post
At first I freaked out and got a snail. He lasted a year. In my 20g (from when I had to downgrade from my 55g) I have an albino bristlenose pleco. I have nothing in my 10g for algae and not even worrying about it in my 5g.

For the most part algae is kind of harmless. There are some that are bad or that come up as a sign that something else is wrong (I had brown algae forever when my ammonia and nitrites were high). If it gets unsightly on the sides or the front I scrape it off at my scheduled water change. After that I don't give much thought into it.

If it bothers you then definitely cut your light time down, as eemmais suggested. If you can't turn them on and off at the same times everyday I would suggest a timer.

I'm not sure if a shrimp can climb that well or not. A snail might be able to deal with the screen but I'm not sure. Scraping it off and siphoning it might be the easiest way to handle it.

Shrimp can climb.. trust me.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #9 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyth88 View Post
Shrimp can climb.. trust me.
I don't doubt it, I've heard the stories of the little buggers jumping out of tanks. I wasn't sure they'd manage the screen of the divider but I bet the fact it has holes would help it climb better :3
Kithy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #10 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kithy View Post
I don't doubt it, I've heard the stories of the little buggers jumping out of tanks. I wasn't sure they'd manage the screen of the divider but I bet the fact it has holes would help it climb better :3

I had two leap to their deaths before I changed and upgraded tanks to one with a full lid. One got poked by a cat and the other just dried up. My current ones swim all over the place and skim along the glass like they're in a race. They also scurry up the heater and the airline for the sponge filter. There isn't a single place in that tank they can't get to.