Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

How do the fish in whiskey bottles (Thailand breeding) get air when stacked up?

I have been reading here and there that Thailand breeders use whiskey bottles to grow out fish in. I also have read they stack them up with boards very high and it's possible to walk on the boards down the rows giving care. I am doing an essay that is about how I got involved with bettas and about the poor treatment of bettas. I am wondering how the fish get any air or food with this "method". If you have any pics I'd be interested to see. Please post as links only if possible as I imagine some people might find the images disturbing. It bothers me but it's the reality (I have discovered) of what brings us our fish.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

I've never seen what you are talking about specifically, but they probably don't fill the bottles all the way to the top so the fish has room to breathe.

Having seen how healthy most of the fish produced by the big breeders overseas are, I would assume that they would be getting fed quite regularly. Bettas don't need a lot of air, so if they are feeding every day or every couple of days and lifting the wood this will introduce new oxygen into the bottle.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #3 
JellOh

This might not be exactly what you're looking for, but it has some pictures and information.http://www.guppies.com/forums/showth...ime-betta-farm.
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #4 
peachii

In some of the youtube videos of breeders and i can't remember which ones exactly, there is a female feeding the bettas and walking on the thin mouth jars as she does it. Looks like she is on the ground and not stacked to high but I could be wrong.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote