Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #141 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

You should try to get him. Mbd usually means there is a serious lack of husbandry.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #142 
Sena Hansler

Yes it is. He had three others posted... A juvi (or stunted) who needed to put on weight, another male who had decent weight on him BUT had a receding jawline, meaning MBD plus the deformed nose, thinned back legs.... and another one who needed to put weight on too....
Attached Images

Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #143 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Ugh there so skinny. Why is he getting rid of them?
Old 07-04-2013, 09:30 PM   #144 
Sena Hansler

IDK. All I know is people like him are basically hoarders... Right intentions, wrong care.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #145 
TurtleBarb

Hi. Your friendly neighborhood herpetologist here. I'm new in these parts. Did you know that beardies are infamous for carrying Cryptosporidium? It's a usually-fatal disease that spreads like wildfire and is very resistant to disinfectants. Reptiles can carry it for years without getting ill, until they get older and/or get really stressed out. The beardies up for grabs in the photographs could very well be thin because they're neglected. And/or they could also be thin because they're sick. It's something to think about before introducing them to Jim. It's also something to look out for in Jim. They shed the cysts in their stool, but not all the time when they're healthy carriers, so the tests for it aren't 100% reliable. A positive test means they have it, a negative test just means they may not have it but still might. An animal that is showing symptoms may be more likely to be shedding cysts. Just some information for you to have in case it helps.
TurtleBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:34 AM   #146 
Sena Hansler

Umm... He wouldn't be near Jim. Especially for the fact of being a male... Being new... And also being sick. Even with my fish everyone is quarantined. Some animals are quarantined longer than others (beardie would be 3 months minimum, fish 2-4 weeks, etc).

There's no knowing whether or not I'll get him since he IS 4 hours away.

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 07-05-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:59 AM   #147 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Four hours? I thought camrose was closer... Calgary's three hours from south Edmonton. Anyways, yes, crypto is not a nice disease... It's basically the myco of the reptile world. I don't know much about beardies but in leopard geckos it is untreatable, fatal, and feared.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #148 
SnowySurface

Wow....I've never owned a lizard in my life and even I can tell the lizard in the third picture is way too thin. I can see his spine waaaaay too well in that picture. I feel sorry for all three of them.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #149 
TurtleBarb

Yep. Crypto deserves its dread reputation. It is indeed incurable and almost always fatal in any reptile species. Occasionally, a very healthy reptile will clear the disease. It's not something to bank on. I lost a beloved tortoise to Crypto even though she had never been exposed to the beardies I was babysitting (who appeared healthy and nobody knew had crypto until they were symptomatic). Never shared any equipment between them, either. And I always washed my hands like a surgeon between pets. It just wasn't enough to keep it from spreading. So, yes, it's a pretty dread disease.
TurtleBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #150 
Sena Hansler

For any animal, even if "they look healthy" I say a once a year visit is a good idea just to go through, check on levels and such... And besides, with such diseases or things like cancer... May not reveal their ugly faces, unless you catch it before it even shows! Then you can prevent it. I have seen extreme MBD...Causes seizures, shakes, and inability to move very well :( I'm a stickler to keeping my animals healthy, and never crossing different species (like bunnies carry a disease they are immune to, yet kill guinea pigs). And washing my hands. Nothing worse than the idea of eating what you touch... Yuck.....

So, on a different note... Might be looking after someone's dogs, for a week. Get paid for it too :p Which that will go towards my dog's vaccinations. I know many people bluff about the shots... I won't.