Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #1 
Luminous

My fish is sick but the symptoms don't seem to match up with illnesses

My fish has been very healthy since I've had him (4-5 months). When I went to feed this morning he was laying down. I freaked out and went to put his food away when he swimmed to the top for his breakfast, which he happily ate. He swimmed around for a minute and layed down again. He looks a little pale and it seems that he bit his own fins as opposed to fin rot, which he's never done before. I changed his water right away (it had last been changed last Saturday) and put his filter on. When I changed the water I put stress coat in. He seemed worse with the filter on so I shut it off right away (it had been on about five minutes). Here is the fill out info:

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 83
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta buffet flakes and betta bites. I just started putting betta bites in the am and keeping the flakes for the pm about 5 days ago.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Usually weekly, give or take a day.

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
1/2-3/4. I don't do 100% because of the live plants.

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API tap water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes. Semi-pale, shredded fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Yes. Laying down. Sometimes straight, other times to his side.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning.
Have you started treating your fish? No If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Unknown. He's an adult but he doesn't seem old.
Attached Images

Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #2 
Luminous

It won't let me post more than one photo so I'm posting another one from this morning and one from what he looks like when he's healthy.
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #3 
Luminous

His healthy photo...
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #4 
NorthernLights

hmmm

With live plants in a 2.5 gallon, I am not sure how often the water should be changed. Do you have a good water testing kit? Small tanks can tend toward an unstable cycle.

BTW, what kind of filter do you have and when did you stop using it?

Are the pictures you posted pretty true to real-life color? I ask because many times pictures don't show it quite right. I'm wondering if there are black or red areas near his fins.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #5 
Luminous

The fins are definitely not black or red, I checked the edges very closely.

His filter is penn-plax smallworld filter connected to an air pump. I didn't want to get anything stronger since their natural environment is calm water. I use it every day for a few hours.

I have a testing kit but it's old (it had been in an attic for a couple of years, I'm not sure if it would be accurate) and I've never used one so I'm worried that I won't be accurate, but I'll get it out and give it a try.

One thing about my tanks is they seem to get a lot of algea. This was after I bought API's leaf zone. I love their stress coat so I assumed it would be good. I'd never use plant food before I went to a pet store to get more plants and the person helping me said the plants won't last long without plant food. I'm not sure if the algae was healthy for the plants. I cut down on the dosage (less than instructed) to keep the algae at a low. This was a couple of months ago now so I'm assuming it can't be what caused him to become ill overnight.

He keeps going into modes of laying down and suddenly having a burst of energy. I saw him laying on his filter so I put the plastic leaf in for him to lay on and he got really excited but didn't use it.