Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #1 
nixta7

Exclamation URGENT!!! please help. gray swollen belly

Hi, I just got my betta under a week ago, I immediately noticed that his belly was slightly gray, but assumed that was just apart of his coloring. I did about a 70% water change a couple days after getting him. Used 3 drops decholorinator as per my gallon tank as required. Water temp is at a steady 80 degrees. I've been feeding him betta pellets, and tried flakes that hes been spitting out so i discontinued that, I've also tried something called 'tubex worms' he didnt like that either so i stopped. Today is day 6 and I've been fasting him for the day as I've read its good to clear out their systems for constipation etc. I've been staying away from the tank so he doesnt see me and think its feeding time (didnt want to be cruel). I did go check on him and noticed his belly was extremely swollen. He is still energetic and swimming around as usual though. What could this be? swim bladder? dropsy? any ideas? Im about to go the epsom salt route as Im not sure what else to do and Im extremely worried. Please help
nixta7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #2 
Chevko

Can you show a pic? The grey I'm not personally concerned about because the description you're giving makes me think that that's just his coloration. The swollen belly sounds like it might be constipation which a small amount of a pea would help with.
Chevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #3 
Pearl2011

Swollen and grey usually means some kind internal infection. Does it look like his scales are pine coneing??

Last edited by Pearl2011; 05-26-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Pearl2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #4 
NorthernLights

constipation

The use of peas for constipation is VERY controversial on here.

Frozen daphnia may be a safer bet for constipation. If you can't get that locally, frozen brine shrimp can work too.

I agree, put up a photo if you can. If not, please describe what he looked like before he was sick and what he looks like now in detail.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #5 
nixta7

Ok so i did the water change and the epsom salt route. When i had him in his temporary bowl, I noticed his poop was white and stringy, what does that mean? Havent used photobucket before, hope this link works
Old 05-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #6 
nixta7

sorry picture quality isnt great
Old 05-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #7 
nixta7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl2011 View Post
Swollen and grey usually means some kind internal infection. Does it look like his scales are pine coneing??
No i dont see any pine coneing of his scales. You can double check in the links if you like
Old 05-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #8 
nixta7

this was him on the day I first got him
Old 05-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #9 
Pearl2011

No pine coning is a very good sign :)

I'm not to familiar with the epsom salt route, but it relives constipation and internal problems, right?? On the other hand his fins look kind of tattered(espicially the first photo you posted), either from injury or finrot. They don't look too severe but keep the water super clean. I say try to keep it clean enough to drink. A bit extreme, but the fish like it :)
Pearl2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #10 
nixta7

Yeah I've read that the epsom salt helps relieve water retention for dropsy. I don't think its swim bladder coz he's swimming around normally, no bouyancy probs. I think I'm gonna have to clean his tank every other day until he's better. I'm really worried, hope it isn't anything serious

Tags
swollen belly