Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2008, 10:31 PM   #1 
hoovesandpoint

Smile New betta owner

Hello, I am new to the forum and I just got a new betta today. I have never owned one before. If anyone could give me any general information on caring for my new betta that would be great. He is living in a typical fish bowl. Do i need to have a direct light source near his tank during the day because he is not near a window and the ceiling fan light will not be on will i am not in the room so do i need a separate light just for him? I would also like to put a plant in the bowl any suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited by hoovesandpoint; 10-25-2008 at 10:35 PM.
hoovesandpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:31 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. The reccommended tank size is 2 1/2 gallons or larger, with a heater and filter. Someone else will have to tell you about cycling a tank. A gallon or half gallon bowl needs to be changed about 2 times a week.You can feed your betta pellets or tropical flakes as his staple diet, twice a day and frozen or freeze dried bloodworms or brine shrimp as a once or twice a week treat. Keep his bowl or tank out of drafty areas and out of direct sunlight. Hope this info helps.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:22 AM   #3 
Little-Fizz

You can't really cycle a bowl... Theres not enough space for beneficial bacteria to build up and because of the smaller space your constantly disturbing it with every water change. If you have him in a half a gallon, the water needs to be changed every day or at least every other (not 100% of the water but at least 50%) and in a 1 gallon no more then two maybe three days between water changes.

My suggestion to you is that you go out and buy a 5 gallon aquarium kit (no more then 40 bucks) and it comes with almost everything you need besides substrate. If you buy a new tank then we will give you advice on cycling the tank. Just remember a betta is a tropical fish so a heater is a must.
Little-Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:58 PM   #4 
hoovesandpoint

ok thanks for the info but i still want to know about plants...
What kind do you use?
Old 10-26-2008, 06:15 PM   #5 
xDoctor Bob

doesn't matter what kind. Both fake and real plants will work.
xDoctor Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:39 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Don't use plastic plants with sharp edges. They can tear your betta's fins since they are so delicate.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:57 PM   #7 
Little-Fizz

For a plant you would need a light. So it kinda depends on if you are willing to upgrade the tank.
Little-Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:35 PM   #8 
fly0away0

Talking *high-fives*

YAY FOR NEW BETA-IANS!
I have no advice other than making sure there's no chlorine in the water..which is kind of obvious...

but ya... how's your fishy doing?
fly0away0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:32 PM   #9 
hoovesandpoint

Yeh im planning on getting a 2.5 gallon tank but i have to wait til i get some $$. I want to get a real plant so what kind of light?
I have questions about water temperature in the fish bowl -- the water is cloudy so i know i need to change it but i have read alot about heaters for the water but the water that the bettas in now is Freezing! Seriously! and hes moving around fine so is the H2O suppose to be warm or what?
Old 10-27-2008, 07:37 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

He needs to be kept as warm as possible until you get your new tank. Keep him in the warmest room of the house.