Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-29-2008, 07:43 PM   #21 
hoovesandpoint

ok i turned the light off last night because the tanks in my room and it made the room to bright for me to sleep. Anyway the tank is a 2.5 gallon. It came with a filter but no heater so im going to get one--approx. how much to they cost?? How much to the test kits cost?
hoovesandpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:53 AM   #22 
iamntbatman

Here's a heater that will work:
Aquarium Heaters & Temperature Control: Marineland Shatterproof Heater
And here's a test kit:
Aquarium Water Testing: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit

Both of those things are very important. Without the heater, the betta will be lethargic and just kind of lay about. Also, his immune system will be greatly compromised, which will make him much more susceptible to diseases. You'll also want a thermometer like this one:
Hagen Thermometers
That way, you can always know exactly what temperature your betta's water is.

The test kit is also extremely important as it allows you to monitor your water parameters. I urge you to read up on the aquarium cycle (the link Little-Fizz posted has some great info). The temperature and pH, along with your levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, are your most important water parameters so knowing their levels with a good test kit will allow you to do water changes when your fish needs it.

You don't have to buy those items from that particular website, but both the heater and the test kit are going to cost substantially more (I'm talking twice as much) in a pet store than they will at an online retailer.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:22 PM   #23 
hoovesandpoint

ok thanks for the heater and test kit info. I did read the cycling thing but it kind of confused me so can someone give me a basic outline of how to do it ? thank you
Old 10-31-2008, 06:50 AM   #24 
Little-Fizz

To cycle your tank all you need is a source of ammonia. But you don't have to worry about that because you already have your fish in the tank. The fish will produce ammonia and feed the beneficial bacteria attempting to colonize in your filter, gravel ect... It is then converted to nitrites (Still dangerous to your fish, probably worse then ammonia) Eventually your nitrites die down and you are left with Nitrates. Nitrates are good, you want them, but so long as they are kept in the same range 5ppm - 40ppm is the safe range.

So pretty much all you have to do is test your water daily, first you'll see ammonia build up... Then maybe 2 weeks into the cycle nitrites will appear. You need to watch these levels because if they get to high you need to do an immediate water change. Even if your levels aren't through the roof you should probably do every other day water changes. Good luck.
Little-Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:29 PM   #25 
hoovesandpoint

Yesterday I got some live plants for the tank and he seems to like them! And today I got 2 new fish so he would have some company! I was nervous that he would try to attack him but he seems to like them and they chase each other around!
Old 11-03-2008, 06:03 AM   #26 
Little-Fizz

... What kind of fish did you get? Now your tanks overstocked all over again...
Old 11-03-2008, 09:12 AM   #27 
hoovesandpoint

One is a male guppy and the other is a type of goldfish its skinny and orange. No my tanks not overstocked they all have room to swim around and play with one another.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:23 AM   #28 
dramaqueen
Banned

I just checked the betta FAQ on this forum and male guppies shouldn't be kept with bettas. Goldfish like cold water and shouldn't be kept with bettas either.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:37 AM   #29 
hoovesandpoint

well thanks for the info but they are all in there now so im just going to keep them in there....
Old 11-03-2008, 02:35 PM   #30 
Little-Fizz

Not to mention that most goldfish can grow 12 inches and are one of the dirtiest fish with a heavy bioload... Don't trust us or anything. Your probably right they have plenty of room to swim around.... Not to sound arrogant or rude... But you did come to us for advice and we said your tank was too small for one fish... So I just don't understand why you would go get more. And dramaqueen is quite right, your male guppie with be nipped to death by your betta and your betta and goldfish need two completely different temperatures.