Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #1 
Fastcash124

Cycle question

So today I picked up a betta and while I was at the store I grabbed a 5.5 gallon. I had a 2.5 but I lost my other betta last night after 2 years. I put water in my 2.5 after I cleaned everything and left to eat and go to the store so the water has been sitting in the tank with the filter running for about 3 hours. My question is do I put the betta in the 2.5 or start the 5 and once it gets to a decent temp put him there? I've read about 10 different cycle guides and i'm not sure what I should do now. I have the filter on the 2.5 with nothing in the tank besides a therm, heater, and a leaf hammock. The plants are in a separate bowl but idk which tank to put his gravel and plants in to start. He's in his pet store container on my counter at the moment.
Fastcash124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Depends how you want to cycle the 5.5g. If you're going to do a fish in cycle I'd just set it up & put him in it. If you didn't change filter media on the 2.5g you could put that in the filter for the bigger tank & it'll help cycle the 5.5g faster.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #3 
Fastcash124

I have a little nano filter with the two sponges inside it and its rated up to 4 gallons but I think it should be fine I just have to go get an extension on the part that goes in the tank (any ideas on where please lmk) I have a small amazon sword and a little bushy anubias too but idk if that'll have really any effect. My heater is also 10W so i'm probably gonna have to go out and buy more stuff I just realized. His 2.5 isn't looking so bad now financially but it just looked a little crowded. So I can just put the fish in the 5.5 and it won't mess him up?
Old 05-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #4 
Fastcash124

Also if I put the betta drops in for the water does that mess up the cycle?
Old 05-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #5 
JellOh

How long has your old filter been off? Do you have the fish yet? If you don't have the fish yet then I suggest you wait and do a fishless cycle. It may be kinda boring with just an empty tank to look at, but it'll be so much better than a fish in cycle. This is my personal favorite guide to the fishless cycle http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

+1 to JellOh. If you can do a fishless cycle, that is much, much better for the fish.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:22 PM   #7 
Fastcash124

I already went and added the betta to the five gallon with my filter from my other tank. I rinsed the sponges out thoroughly from the filter but it wasn't off really any amount of time. I flushed the fish last night and left the tank to clean for the morning
Old 05-26-2013, 11:29 PM   #8 
Fastcash124

I put in a house that I hated from the other tank. It seems to always be dirty and grow algae. It might have some bacteria from the other tank. It was dry for probably 6-7 hours though
Old 05-27-2013, 01:09 AM   #9 
JellOh

You probably scrubbed away all the beneficial bacteria. I'd leave your new betta in the 5.5 gallon and do a fishless cycle with the filter in the 2.5 gallon. That way your new fish isn't stressed or harmed by the lackluster water conditions. Once your filter is finished cycling you can add it to the 5.5 gallon with few to no ill effects.
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:59 AM   #10 
Fastcash124

Ok I'll move the filter to the 2.5 and get that back going. So basically cycling is for the filter and not for the actual water in the tank?