Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #1 
EdgyWolf

That was short lived...

I had to return the Halfmoon Double Tail Plakat due to immensely strange behavior as well as it began to swim sideways. I called the manager at Petco and asked if I could exchange the fish for another and he was okay with it. Sad that I had to give him up but he was showing very strange signs. I picked up a King just now as my once again new betta fish. Pics will be up soon of this new big guy!
EdgyWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #2 
Laki

Too bad you can't go back and save the original one. Him laying on his side was probably a mild swim bladder issue which is treatable. Now I feel bad he might die in the store.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Did you acclimate the first one well? Like an hour of acclimation? I know sometimes they can get a bit off if you don't acclimate well. Either way happy the store manager was kind enough, they aren't always like that.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #4 
EdgyWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Did you acclimate the first one well? Like an hour of acclimation? I know sometimes they can get a bit off if you don't acclimate well. Either way happy the store manager was kind enough, they aren't always like that.
Yes I did and he was fine the whole time. I released him and he was glass surfing a lot. Then just started progressively acting really really strange. I didn't know what to make of it. And I had no other choice. I had no idea what to do other than to put him back in the cup and take him back to Petco.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #5 
EdgyWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Too bad you can't go back and save the original one. Him laying on his side was probably a mild swim bladder issue which is treatable. Now I feel bad he might die in the store.
He wasnt permanently stuck on his side. He was just swimming really weird and acting very very strange. I didn't know what to make of it at all. I don't think he had swim bladder at all. I've dealt with that before in the past. I didn't want to treat him for something he didn't have and my only out was to just return him for another fish.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #6 
Laki

Well I'm sorry to hear :( Hopefully no such problem arises with your new fish. Pics?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #7 
EdgyWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by laki View Post
well i'm sorry to hear :( hopefully no such problem arises with your new fish. Pics?
pics will be up soon of my new king!! Keep you posted! :D
Old 05-27-2013, 07:10 AM   #8 
EdgyWolf

Go to Betta Pictures and look for "My new King betta fish!!" if you'd like to see my new King!
Old 05-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #9 
NeptunesMom

Unfortunately, your former betta is probably going to die in a backroom now. Pet stores doesn't really have the ability to treat SBD properly. I work in a big box chain pet store, so I know. They treat with AQ salt, which encourages fluid retention. It's more of a corporate culture thing than a store by store choice. It def sounds like a mild case of SBD, which needs to be treated with Epsom salt. Something not really on hand at pet stores. In fact, AQ salt is the only treatment available for sick fish at my store (no antibiotics either, even though we sell them all). I've just been buying the sick fish at our store and bringing them home for treatment. That way they at least have a shot. Just an FYI, that way in the future you might be more inclined to try to treat yourself.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #10 
Skyewillow

I was thinking the same thing, Neptunesmom.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote