Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #11 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

....every four months? I'm sorry, I'm a bit speechless but I'm super glad that you've joined here.

Just for a future reference I need you to look at this thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758

I suspect that this happened: when tanks are not cleaned weekly or somewhere around that point, many many things can build up in that tank that are harmful to your fish. It is likely she had gotten an internal parasite infection and struggled with it for a long time. Finally she's expelled the parasites but given her age, it seems like it's left her very weak after a long battle. It would be comparable to a 50 year old getting cancer, battling it for 10 years to come out exhausted and with a not good survival rate.

I'm really sorry to be blunt but every four months is not adequate, I have a feeling that it is just your girls time since she is quite old.

In the future though, if you decide to get another one, please invest in a small siphon and clean the tank out at least once a week, twice weekly is optimal so that things like what happened to your girl does not happen again.

All that said, your girl can and might still fight through this. Keep her water level lower but in a smaller tank she's going to need a water change more often. What size critter tank is it? Also feed her only 2 pellets a day, older fish don't need to eat as much. Keep an eye out for her poo though.

EDIT: alright, you can add a little more water than that, but it does look like it's her time. Keep an eye on her is all and keep that tank clean. You should change her water every other day if she survives like that. It also looks like she's got Ich if mine eyes are not deceiving me.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #12 
taralovesanimals

Hello? Oops sorry. Didnt see your reply
taralovesanimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #13 
taralovesanimals

I also have two other fish that are super healthy (same age) is there something wrong with just her or are the other two very hardy. Will this happen to the other two?
Old 05-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #14 
taralovesanimals

Isn't there some way I can save her?
Old 05-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #15 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Betta's generally only live 3 years, 5 years at best. She's probably just dying of old age and because of the parasitic problem. It could happen to your fish if the tanks aren't cleaned properly though.

Does she have white spots on her? Look like she sprinkled with salt?
Old 05-26-2013, 05:39 PM   #16 
taralovesanimals

There are a few white spots
Old 05-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #17 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Do they look raised up like a bump or are they fuzzy?
Old 05-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #18 
taralovesanimals

They just look like there's some salt on her. I added more water, and she's moving her fins now, but still at the bottom
Old 05-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #19 
taralovesanimals

she stopped moving her fins now
Old 05-26-2013, 06:00 PM   #20 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Alright, she's got Ich then and who know's what else. I'm tentative to treat her just because she is so old but if you want to continue and do it, then I will give you the treatment.

You need Aquarium salt, you can get this at Wal-mart or any pet store.

Do not use Epsom salt for this.

Take your girl out with a cup, make sure to get some of her water in there so she doesn't die.
Go ahead and rinse out the critter keeper in tap water.
Measure out a gallon of water if you can, I don't know what size that tank is so I can't really help you there. If you've got a gallon jug of water, that would work to measure.
If you've got the gallon jug fill it with tap water and measure out 2 teaspoons of AQ salt and put it into the jug.
Mix up the salt in the gallon jug until you cannot see crystal anymore.
Add Conditioner to the gallon jug.
And then pour that water into the empty Critter keeper and to whatever level you think is good so she can still go up to breathe air. It shouldn't take the whole gallon so you can save that for tomorrow when you do another change.

You need to change her water 100% every day and repeat the above steps for about 7 days or until you don't see those white spots.

Do not, under any circumstances use more than 3 teaspoons of salt per gallon or use for more than 14 days. Salt can be particularly bad for their liver and kidney's.