Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-29-2008, 11:32 PM   #1 
xst3ph90x

Exclamation Help asap! Emergency

I just got a new betta earlier this week, and he seems happy. He's making bubble nests, and hes very active. I haven't seen him eat, but he's still adjusting and he's probably just picky.

At first I thought he had fin rot, so I put some bettafix in his bowl.
Sometimes bettafix clouds my water, but the water is not just cloudy, it seems like its thick. Its almost like a gel. He can still swim through it, but I feel bad for the poor guy. Its not thick to the point that its gel, but its like a soupy consitency. I'm not sure if its the light, or the bettafix, or the new decor and gravel. I rinsed everything very well before I put it in the tank. Also, my other betta (in a different tank), seems to be perfectly fine, and hes under the same conditions. Some bettafix because he had torn his fin, and a light. The only difference is that he has an air pump. I don't think its the air pump because until recently, I didn't have an air pump in my other betta's tank.

It's too late now, but I plan on doing a water change tomorrow morning as soon as I wake up.

Is this bad for my betta, also do you have any idea what might have caused this!

I feel so bad for him, and I want to do everything to make him happy in his new home!
xst3ph90x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:40 AM   #2 
Chrisseh

Is the Betta Fix an old bottle? I don't know what caused this effect, but I would think a water change would help.
Chrisseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:48 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

If you are using stresscoat for your water conditioner, that might be causing the water to be gel like.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:43 AM   #4 
xst3ph90x

Nope, I'm using Kent marine Betta Bowl Essential.
The Bettafix is from August.
I'm not sure what's wrong, but I'm definitely going to do a 50% water change today!
Old 10-30-2008, 11:31 AM   #5 
xst3ph90x

I just did a 50% water change because a 100% would be too stressful.
He seems pretty happy because he's swimming around a lot.
I think its because the water is a lot less gel- like and its a lot easier for him to move around.
The water is still cloudy, but I'll just have to do more recent water changes and see what happens. Maybe I put too much water conditioner in. I can't do much about the cloudiness because I didn't do a 100% water change, but it DOES look less cloudy.
I think it might have been the bettafix.
He seems VERY happy, I don't think I've seen him stop moving since I changed the water.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:46 PM   #6 
Kim

That happened to me when I tried Melafix (more concentrated form of bettafix). I did water changes as recommended, and I didn't notice it until I did the next change. I do not recommend bettafix or melafix because every time I have tried it my fish get worse, not better. I have read a great article about why melaluca should not be used with labrynth fish. It is...

FishGeeks :: View topic - What you need to know about Bettafix and Melafix

Hope you find this helpful. I use Fungus Clear by Jungle Labs to treat fin rot and it has worked every time. Everyone has a different opinion, this is just mine.

Oh, and I have used stress coat in the past-it did not do anything to my water, but I don't use it now because I have heard bad things about it coating fishs' gills. I have not actually experienced this but I would rather be safe than sorry.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:45 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I used Melafix on one of my bettas this week and ended up cutting the treatment short because I noticed the other night he looked worse and acted like he was miserable. He stayed on the bottom of his container and I was afraid I'd lose him. I changed his water right away and he seems better today, eating and moving around more. He acted like he was mad at me for putting him in that nasty medicine water, turning his back on me when I was near his container! Haa. I have tried Jungle fungus eliminator , Bettafix and Melafix and Pimafix. My room looks like a fish pharmacy! I may try Jungle Fungus Clear next time, since it worked for you, Kim.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:49 AM   #8 
Kim

Haha...I have a whole box designated for fish medicines because I'm a sucker and rescue any fish I can! Last night I realized that I have a medicine to treat every major illness in fish! I'm well stocked now .
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote