Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #1 
kvw1988

Veiltail, or Combtail?

Here's some pics of Guillermo. I could only manage to get one decent profile after trying for awhile, but as the title suggests is he a combtail, or a veiltail with some raying? I've mentioned in a previous post that I believe I am not his first owner and you can see where it looks like he might have had some fin rot that healed weird. He's always been like that since I've had him for six or seven months so I don't believe he is a tailbiter, at least not currently.

Anyway, here's some pics of my very spoiled little buddy, hope you enjoy :)
Attached Images

kvw1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #2 
Laki

There's no fin rot (tell-tale black would be easily seen on such a bright red tail)

He's a veiltail with some growing to do. Combtails have a rounder tail the same shape as a crowntail and doesn't droop... Since combtail is a mix between VT and CT there is a lot of inconsistencies, but all the ones I have seen don't have the drooping veil of VT:

(but you're boy is VERY pretty! Very red!) Going back to re-read, he's always been like that? It's possible somewhere in his pet store genes that he has been crossed with CT. But I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination on genetics!
Attached Images

Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #3 
kvw1988

Thanks :) yeah he's always looked like that, and I think he's an older fish I'm thinking 2ish because when I got him he was about twice as big as the other males next to him. I have another thread, I believe in the care section about age which he is the subject of. The reason I think he had fin rot at some point before I had him is because of the chunk missing out of the top of caudal tail. I've always been curious about his genetics, and his past. He has so many little quirks that I didn't notice until I had had him awhile. But whatever he is, he makes for a good pet
kvw1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvw1988 View Post
Thanks :) yeah he's always looked like that, and I think he's an older fish I'm thinking 2ish because when I got him he was about twice as big as the other males next to him. I have another thread, I believe in the care section about age which he is the subject of. The reason I think he had fin rot at some point before I had him is because of the chunk missing out of the top of caudal tail. I've always been curious about his genetics, and his past. He has so many little quirks that I didn't notice until I had had him awhile. But whatever he is, he makes for a good pet
He probably bit his tail, it's very common in long tailed Betta's But just because there's a chunk taken out doesn't mean that he's had fin rot or is going o have fin rot. It is possible but doesn't mean one or the other

He most likely had some grandparent or great grandparent that was a CT to give him a bit of spiky appearance.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #5 
Kiara1125

I think they're just extended rays, not necessarily CT or combtail. A few of my betttas [even VTs] have that. I once thought that my female could be a combtail, but who knows?

Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote