Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2013, 06:32 PM   #11 
Jexx

This is how she looked this evening when I was changing her water. Did 100 % change. 50% of it had 3 tsp/gallon of epsom salt. Dosed jungle fungus clear again and did 6 drops below f vita chem. Also 5ml of stresscoat. Fed her cooked egg yolk today. Of course she loved it. Her left gill is extend . But when I put her container in fron of Sesshomaru's tank she showed off for him breeding stripes and all. He immediately built a bubble nest lol. Even with dropsy she's a flirt.
Attached Images

Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #12 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

You are lucky it is not too far advanced yet... True dropsy (organ failure caused) is near impossible to cure so be aware of that. It's important to keep her 100% quarantined from other fish so this doesn't spread. Hopefully kanaplex will help, in the mean time keep up Epsom salts (I would slowly up the dosage) and jungle. Keep feeding her.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #13 
Jexx

Thanks. She is very much enjoying the egg yolk. Luckily she is a piggy fish so appetite is not an issue. I am increasing the epsom salt over 4 days. She has 5 gallons of water in her 5.5 gallon tank. Yesterday I did 1.5 tsp/ gallon. Today I did 3 tsp per gallon in 50% of her water when I did a 100% water change. Tomorrow I will do 3 tsp/gallon in 75% of her water when I do a 100% water change and then on Wed I will do 3 tsp/gallon in 100% of the water and keep at that for 10-14 days. I am also dosing Vitachem 1 drop per gallon and stress coat+ 1 ml per gallon. The Jungle Fungal Clear dose is 1 tab per 10 gallons So I am adding half a tab after I do the 100% water change. I have hope in her recovery because: 1, she has not lost her attitude. 2, her color is wonderful. 3, the edema is not that bad. Although she is pine coned she is not that much bigger than her normal size. 3, she is passing bowl movements as normal. All of these things indicate that she cannot have total organ failure. 4, she is reacting well to the medication.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #14 
Jexx

Also, I believe I can combine the Kanaplex with Bifuran/Jungle Fungal clear no?
Old 05-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #15 
LittleBlueFishlets

Yes, you can combine Kanaplex with Bifuran/Jungle Fungus Clear/API Furan 2.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #16 
Jexx

Excellent. I received my kanaplex this morning! Before breakfast. I mixed it with egg yolk and fed her it. I intend to feed it for a full course. Should I also put it in her water with the jungle and epsom?
Old 05-28-2013, 08:52 PM   #17 
Jexx

I did her water change tonight and added the kanaplex to the water along with the jungle and epsom. she had pooped a lot since yesterday. like a weeks worth. it was all very dark in color. some of it black. that worries me.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #18 
LittleBlueFishlets

The Epsom salt is apparently doing its job. I wouldn't worry about the dark colored poop yet. It could just be from constipation, since the waste sat in her digestive tract longer than normal. If it keeps up though, it could indicate an issue. (In humans, it could indicate something like the presence of a bleeding ulcer.)

Yes, I would add the Kanaplex to the water, in addition to the food. It's OK to combine it with the furan meds and the Epsom salt. And yes, treat for the full course.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #19 
Jexx

she was never constipated though... she has always been very regular and healthy in that respect. even before starting treatment she was still pooping normally even with the dropsy. now she is pooping way more than normal...
Old 05-28-2013, 10:32 PM   #20 
jadaBlu

I am not suggesting you add another med at this point but they give metronidizole to my cats for inflamatory intestinal issues. So if the black poop continues that might be something to consider.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote