betta fish

Old 05-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #31 
LittleBlueFishlets

All of that sounds positive!
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:15 AM   #32 
Jexx

*SIGH*

And she has dropsy again. This time she is even fatter than before. I am doing another round of kanaplex. she is not even off of her epsom salt treatment yet. still at 3 tsp/gallon. She is eating, her fins are fully extended, but she has turned into a spikey ballon fish :( I don't know what else to do. Its not parasites, her poop is normal. There is obviously something else internally wrong.
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #33 
jadaBlu

You might tetracycline instead. My veterinary book on fish disease I bought said you should use that for kidney infection.

I also am not having luck. A new male plakat I have got bloated. (He's very new he was in the quarantine stage) When he took it orally it helped but he is refusing it now. The thing is they say you end up having to keep dosing with it as it's not likely to go away. So the plus is he isn't so bloated. The minus is he doesn't do much he is active occasionally but mostly he just sits at the top doing nothing. His name is Zippy so that should tell you something about the past to today. I hope she improves.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #34 
Jexx

I might just have to. I don't know what else to do. Already used 2 types of anti biotic and she still isn't well. We'll see if this dose of kanaplex does anything. If not then I might just try the tetracycline.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #35 
Jexx

well I did the other dose of Kanaplex. nothing. did a round of BiFuran+, no change. kept her on 3 tsp/ gallon of epsom salt the whole time. Finally received my Tetracycline today and started her on that with epsom salt. obviously there is no difference except now she is not eating, not swimming and has lost all color. Her poor body is so bloated. I don't know what else to do.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #36 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Unfortunately, that is what dropsy does to a fish. It's a horrible condition, no matter how hard you try they usually end up dying. As much as I hate to say it, I would be prepared to put her down (I prefer clove oil. Quick, seemingly painless, and easy).
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #37 
Jexx

i unfortunately did buy clove oil as i suspected what you said.. I say unfortunately because I was hoping it wouldn't be true. I feel bad letting her suffer but I feel like, what if she does get better from this medicine and I just didn't give it enough time? I don't know what I should do.. she looks terrible. She was my second betta ever.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #38 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I know how you feel. Usually, there will be a time where you know they are ready to go. Yea, they are fish... But you definatly can get that feeling from them.

I euthanize once I know they stopped fighting it.

If you want instructions on euthanization, just ask and I will walk you through it.

Last edited by MattsBettas; 06-07-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #39 
Jexx

what would be a sign that they are ready to go? could you give examples? if it comes down to euthanasia I will definitely need instruction as this is something I've never had to experience before.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #40 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

It's hard to describe... It really comes down to knowing your fish. Some signs I use are extreme lethargy, lack of appetite, constant hiding, extreme bloating, lack of response to meds, and them obviously being in pain.

To euthanize, put 1/2 a cup to a cup of their tank water (decreases stress) in a jar, plastic cup, etc. add 1-2 drops of clove oil, shake it well (to emulsify the oil) (if the container doesn't have a lid use Saran Wrap and be careful) then add the fish... They will swim around a bit, gulp some air, then die within seconds. Leave them in the solution for at least a minute to make sure they are dead, as clove oil knocks them out before killing them (what you are essentially doing is overdosing an anesthetic, I believe).