Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #1 
Rana

Baby "V/C"s Journal

I got this little booger at PetCo this past Thursday and rather than clog up the baby thread, I'm going to start my own journal to keep track of it's progress. :D

It's nickname is V/C since I can't tell what sex it is yet- if it's female, it will be Viola and if male, Cesario. Shamelessly stolen from Twelfth Night because it's my favorite play and fits this gender confusion quite well. No real idea what the color will turn out to be, but I recall someone said that stripey babies usually have dark bodies and non-stripes have lighter?

I'm guessing it's around 5-6 weeks old, maybe older considering its growth might have been stunted. But it's still completely see-through, and less than an inch long. I had planned on getting one a little older, but you know how that goes. V/C was just so small and delicate I couldn't leave it!

Thursday 5/23;

Today, 5/26;

More updates to come! I can see it's organs pretty well, so if anyone can help me figure out what betta ovaries look like I might even be able to sex it pretty soon. :D
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

It's to young to see ovaries, but he/she looks great!
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #3 
Fenghuang

S/he is a cute little betta. Congratulations on your baby. :)
Fenghuang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:29 PM   #4 
Rana

Good to know, I figured it would take a few more weeks to know for sure anyway! And thanks, I was surprised by how clean it's cup was when I picked it up, and it's been eating like a little piggie so I think it's gonna have a good start on life. *Knocks on wood*
Old 05-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #5 
Rana

More pictures today! V/C wouldn't sit still for a photoshoot during it's 100% change yesterday, but I snagged some decent pics today.

It's been a week exactly since I brought this little booger home! And it's still very little, but growing. There's a light blue sheen over him/her at certain angles, which is exciting, and I can't quite tell if it's looking redder as well!
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Not sure if I'm just seeing things but I think I see ovaries in the second picture? Maybe MattsBettas can help us out here. But it looks like it might be a female to me

And yes that's a real nice blue irid!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #7 
Rana

I didn't see your comment earlier but yes, I think I spy ovaries! I'm still not ready to commit to a sex for another couple of weeks, but it seems like I might have a little Viola on my hands after all. :D

It's hard to see the tail in pics, but I'm near 90% sure it's a veil. I can't see any branching yet (might still be too young) but the shape says VT to me.
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #8 
Rana

Day 12

Two new pics. I really need to get a better photo set up, because right now I either have to deal with VC's cloudy plastic tank, or else an old peanut butter jar, which is clearer but also round. A small square glass dish would be perfect, but of course I have no idea where I'd even find one. Ah well, baby will be in a real tank soon enough.

For some reason I always seem to have two pictures at a time, and almost always of VC's right side. I have no idea why but that seems to be his/her "good side" I guess :3
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Cute!

As far as jars and stuff goes, go to a second hand store or I don't know if you have them but Saver's is a great place and I find glass jars/containers all the time there for only a few bucks! Half of them would make a great home for a Betta as well with a wide top and large enough vase that it could easily hold a gallon to 1.5 gallons!

Yard sales are a good place to look as well, there should be plenty this time of year and you never know what you can dig up!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #10 
Rana

I don't know about Saver's but there is a cheap home store not far from my house and they would probably have some vases, hmmm. I'm not big on vases as tanks, but for a photo booth I can definitely see it. Right now I've got an old cinnamon jar I'm thinking about cleaning out since it's square, but I'd feel much better with something that's not plastic and full of spice.

I'm actually banned from yard sales haha! I picked up the bug from my dad and any time I see a sign for one I just have to go check it out and buy something. Craigslist is dicey for the same reason. There is a local flea market I might be able to visit though, and is less temptation.