Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2008, 12:34 PM   #1 
muffygirl

can I cycle a 2.5gal. tank

I have a 2.5 gal tank.

I have it all set up with my silk plants, stone substrate and a cute little hide for him. The filter in the tank right now is good for about 6 weeks(so says the package) I have it hooked up to an airpump. I had a betta in it but can not get the ammonia level down even after a water change so I put him back into his old 1 gal bowl.

Can I cycle a 2.5 gal tank like I did my 10 gal tanks? I was thinking I would get a better filter is it can be cycled and a heater too.

thanks all....
muffygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:38 PM   #2 
Kim

You could try, but I have heard that even if you do succeed they are really hard to keep cycled. I would just put the betta back in and do 100% water changes as you would on your 1 gal.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:43 PM   #3 
iamntbatman

I've cycled tanks that small, and they've stayed cycled. Provided there are adequate surfaces for bacteria to grow on (i.e. the filter media and your substrate and decorations) there should be no reason the tank wouldn't cycle. However, because of the small water volume, once it is cycled the nitrates will rise quickly, so water changes will have to be done more often.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote