Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #1 
stichez

butterflys??

ok question. do butterfly bettas always have the clear on the outer edges of the fins or can it be on the inner part? if not then what is that considered?
stichez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

A butterfly doesn't even have to have a white or clear band, it can be any color and in any order.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #3 
stichez

o ok thank you. all the pictures ive seen of butterflies had clear on the outer edges so i wasnt sure.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #4 
Myates

White/clear on the edges are common.. but as stated, can be two different colors.

The "normal" butterfly is that the body color bleeds into the fin section closest to the body, and then there is a distinct difference in color on the edges - it should be an even band around the fins.

If the color around the body is different color from the body, and the color that is furthest from the body is the same color as the body then it will be considered a "reverse" butterfly.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #5 
stichez

ok and what if the body is blue then the fins are clear and black? what would that be called?
Old 05-31-2013, 11:01 AM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

If there is a distinct band of colors, then it is butterfly. But if only the rim of the fins are black, then its' only a nameless color pattern. Sometimes young fin cells may be black (IDK why). But sometimes it is more of a pattern (looks that way until betta grows old).

A picture would help us help you :)
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:33 PM   #7 
stichez

well now that i see him in person i dont think hes a butterfly but perhaps you can tell me if there is a name for what he is or if hes just nameless. i wanna know mainly for genetic reasons. i want to put together a hypothesis of what genetics he might have and then find out more once i breed him and see what i come up with.
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2013, 08:36 PM   #8 
stichez

hes mainly blue with white patches on his face and his fins are like white then blue then black on the edges
Old 05-31-2013, 09:07 PM   #9 
indjo
TFK Moderator

As far as I know, there isn't an actual name for this pattern. Some might give it a commercial name but that could be random.

The flash is blocking the view but I think he is from a blue dragon line. The white is probably color combo. To determine his genetics, you would need to know 3 generations up his line. (parents - grand parents - great grand parents). Knowing this often is useless if there was cross breeding to other colors because any crosses will add to the genetic pool.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:12 PM   #10 
stichez

yea sorry about the flash. hes not a dragon scale. o well i guess he will just have to be a mystery for now. hes pretty anyway so at least there is that lol