Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #1 
Atena

Breeding Yellows - genetics question...

A friend of mine has recently talked me into trying to breed.

All in all I love the idea, have been doing a lot of reading and now am trying to get a nice pair to start off.

I have decided on what I want, I am not entirely sure if I can get it, but at least I have a starting place.

I want to breed long finned all yellow bettas. Pure yellow with no blacks, blues or pinks.

Needless to say, there are none in the US, I swear I tried to find them, they don't exist.

So I am now on aquabids and there are quite a few choices there.

I am finding many long finned half moons with truly beautiful vibrant yellow colors, but no girls.

I find lots of true yellow females, but they are all short finned.

I need advice, can I breed a long tailed male to a short tail female and if so, what will I get as a result?

Last edited by Atena; 05-26-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

First off, I hope you have researched breeding a lot.

Yellows are caused from a mutation of the red gene and are thus referred to as non-red (nr). Yellow can be tricky to breed, since it is a recessive trait. This page will explain it better then I can- http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...?articleid=965

On aquabid, you could contact a seller and ask for a sibling of a yellow male you like, there is a good chance they will sell one to you. Or, you could breed to a yellow hmpk female... But you will start to get some hmpk in f2.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #3 
Atena

I wish the link on more info for breading yellows worked. LOL

Great website, thank you.

Yes, I am still far away from the actual breeding part, but I am really loving learning about it.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #4 
Darth

Also you should buy a pair of chocolate bettas it improves the deep yellow it is good to have 2 lines going at the same time breeding yellow or orange without addition f new blood will result in fading.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #5 
Atena

thanks for the tip, I will start off with the one pair, not sure yet I can actually do it. If I achieve success with the first pair then I will get a chocolate one or see what else I might need, my first pair may not be the one I end up with.

Should the Chocolate be a new pair or just one male or female to breed with one of the original parents?

Atena :)
Old 05-26-2013, 11:48 PM   #6 
Darth

You want to get the best line you can get, don't skimp when it comes to selection, if you have average fish you won't be able to sell for a good price.
This is where many people make the mistakes, they breed substandard fish "To try it" and end up stuck with the whole lot because nobody wants a bunch of mongrels.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:51 PM   #7 
Atena

Mongrels!

wow, that is harsh...

At this point i am not sure I could tell a good one from a bad one, I know what i would like and this is my criteria. I am not looking to make money here, just a hobby, I am sure someone will want them, but I do hope to get the best fish. I might end up with a dozen before I decide on the final couple. LOL

Atena :)
Old 05-27-2013, 12:07 AM   #8 
Darth

It was not meant as harsh rather more as elightening, just saying if you start with good fish, good fish come out!
Old 05-27-2013, 12:09 AM   #9 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

It may come across as harsh to you but he is correct... Put money aside and you still have to think of the time investment... It takes just as much time and effort to breed quality fish as it does mutts that not many people want... And they will sell slower too.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:02 AM   #10 
Atena

Yes, I do get that .. just don't let them hear you call them that.

Seriously though, How do you know you are getting a pure breed and not a very pretty mutt?