Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #11 
Hallyx
Reference Team

If you can find one of Setsuna's threads on wild B. splendens, you'll see what your fish descended from.

Larger-sized Betta come in a range of sizes from 2in on up from nose to the start of the tail (the caudal peduncle). Breeders are each doing their best to make them big.

Petco calls them Kings (tm). Everyone else calls them Giants or, lately, GBs (giant Betta).

He may eat a lot, but don't overfeed him. Some Giants have tender digestion, so daphnia and shrimp as laxative is appropriate occasionally. Use the best quality pellets you can find.

Oh...and find your camera. I'd love to see some real quality photos of him. If you see any more at that Petco, please PM me their address. Thanks.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:32 AM   #12 
Deanna01

Wow, he's a gorgeous guy! Grats on a great find!
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #13 
Tabbie82

He is beautiful!
Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #14 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
If you can find one of Setsuna's threads on wild B. splendens, you'll see what your fish descended from.

Larger-sized Betta come in a range of sizes from 2in on up from nose to the start of the tail (the caudal peduncle). Breeders are each doing their best to make them big.

Petco calls them Kings (tm). Everyone else calls them Giants or, lately, GBs (giant Betta).

He may eat a lot, but don't overfeed him. Some Giants have tender digestion, so daphnia and shrimp as laxative is appropriate occasionally. Use the best quality pellets you can find.

Oh...and find your camera. I'd love to see some real quality photos of him. If you see any more at that Petco, please PM me their address. Thanks.
I was certain that true Giants are supposed to be 5 inches to 7. And Kings are only half Giants, not true.

Also my Petco sells them all the time, some do look very similar to his here. If I had more tank space, I'd certainly have one :)
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:29 AM   #15 
Stone

everyone seems to come to the conclusion that giants are 5-7 inches, it is a mistake, it is 5-7 cm it is a common mistake with us americans and our imperial system, keep in mind the way you measure is from the tip of their nose to the beginning of his/her tail fin, not including their tails

petco seems to be having a bunch of kings/giants that are simular lately we got harley a bit ago and someone else got one the same day, they all could be related lol here is harley....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMhM1pkb_5Q

Last edited by Stone; 05-28-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #16 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone View Post
everyone seems to come to the conclusion that giants are 5-7 inches, it is a mistake, it is 5-7 cm it is a common mistake with us americans and our imperial system, keep in mind the way you measure is from the tip of their nose to the beginning of his/her tail fin, not including their tails

petco seems to be having a bunch of kings/giants that are simular lately we got harley a bit ago and someone else got one the same day, they all could be related lol here is harley....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMhM1pkb_5Q
5 cm is only about 2 inches, if that's so then all my Betta's are Giants.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #17 
Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
5 cm is only about 2 inches, if that's so then all my Betta's are Giants.
Go look on aquabid at the giants and show me one that is 5-7 inches show me one that is over 3 for that matter, and look mopst of them are measuring the whole fish and here are weblinks that have about every possible sized listed for them to cover the range http://www.aqua-fish.net/show.php?h=giantbetta there is up to 12cm which is 4.72 inches and then there is this site http://www.aqua-fish.net/show.php?h=giantbetta which says 5-7cm but does say there were some that were 7 inches but suspected growth hormones might have been involved, and if you continue to do web searches you will find the size range varies on sites, this is kind of like saying someone is a tall person where does tall start? and that being said there will be "giants" that are 3 inches or so on average there will be ones that are closer to 4 inches and some may exceed 5 inches, I personally have not seen one bigger than 4.25 inches so from personal experience I can state that as fact but I wont say a 7 inch one is not possible that would be like saying a person could never be over 7 foot tall, and we all know there are people taller than that but they are the exception not the rule......
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #18 
EdgyWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post

I'm only giving him as much as he will eat and for now it's been roughly 6 or 7 pellets. He's a pretty big guy. Not sure if that is too much for him.

I will definitely break out my Canon T2i and take some BETTER pictures of him and I will post them on this same thread again. So keep a look out once more.

I could give you the address of the Petco I go to. When I went to go pick up Buckshot there were 2 other King's that look similar to Buckshot and then the third one had a lot more red to him. All equally beautiful. I'm not sure if they are there still. The Kings were on high shelves and apparently no one seems to look up except for me. I take care in picking a betta fish lol. Anyways, if you would still like the address just let me know. Though I cannot guarantee that they will have the King's I mentioned. But maybe you could call and ask when their next shipment will be or ask where their breeder is located.
EdgyWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:13 PM   #19 
RiceFish

I believe that all Petcos if not most of them carry "king bettas" in their betta section
RiceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:36 AM   #20 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I've personally seen giants over four inches. But they weren't particularly well-formed. I had a 3 incher (nose to caudal peduncle) from Petco who died of ammonia from having been kept in one of those small cups.

My avatar picture is my giant plakat, 2.5in BO (body only) and growing, who succumbed to bad digestion (swim bladder?) in less than a day.

Some of the early giants were over four inches (some say five). But, when they were back-bred for looks, finnage and color, naturally they became smaller. Now Thai breeders call anything over 2in BO a giant. They call those 2.5in fish. Stone is right in his observations there.

More than absolute size, a giant is determined by genetics. So a 2in standard Betta is not a giant. But a 1.8in giant is.

Someone mentioned growth hormone. There really is no reliable growth hormone, even for commercial farm-raied fish, let alone pet fish. However, there is an anti-growth hormone, called a "stunting hormone" exuded by fry in an attempt to keep their sibling small and less competitive. A good giant breeder separates his fish as soon as possible to keep this from happening.

So, really, there is no such thing as a half-giant. The breeders are just doing their best to breed large, attractive Betta fish. Some are just bigger and better than others.

Hey, Edgy, here's a pic of Setsuna's wild B. splendens. See any similarity?

Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote