Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #1 
LittleBettaFish

Two males wrapping?

One of my tanks has quite a few sub-adult males living together with some younger siblings (both male and female) and the original pair.

Today, I noticed that the three largest males were trying to wrap each other. I thought maybe it was one of the females, but they all have full ventrals and the green sheen down their sides so I believe that they in fact all male.

It's really odd. There's no nest and they are wrapping hard enough to stun each other. I wondered if maybe it was practice/dominance display/sexual frustration causing them to do it.

(They stunned themselves here)

Anyone seen any of their juvenile males doing something similar in their grow-outs?
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #2 
Hadoken Kitty

I have no idea why they are doing that....but practice makes perfect right? LOL
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:09 AM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

They are still doing it. Two of them will wrap and the other male just follows them around watching. They keep barring up like in the pictures so I wonder if it is some sort of weird dominance/submission display.

Never seen any of my other males that cohabitate doing it though.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:16 AM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I would think they would have to be different genders... It is kind of funny though. I guess two males is possible. Weird, but possible. Talk to logisticsguy about one of the gender confused fish from his spawn lol!

Last edited by MattsBettas; 06-02-2013 at 01:19 AM.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:37 AM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

I am 90% sure that all three involved male. I've compared all three together and they are identical in appearance. Females don't have such thick ventrals or large fins. There are also no eggs being dropped and they are wrapping well enough that this would be the case. Plus there's no nest or anything. They are just randomly doing it in the middle of the tank.

They are also sometimes breaking apart and both curving their bodies like they are embracing even though they haven't got anyone there to wrap with. Really odd.

I think I need to grow my females out faster so I can sell a couple pairs off haha. Probably all the hormones in that water driving them bonkers.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #6 
Hadoken Kitty

My boyfriend says they're all gay. Lol.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #7 
Fenghuang

Lol, I love the random third wheel.

I've heard of males of other fish species attempting to mate with males if females are not readily available. Cichlids do this.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

Odd thing is that mum is in there with them, and there are a couple female siblings that are getting big enough that they may perhaps be nearly ready to spawn.

And yeah by the end of the day he was joining in on the act haha. Hopefully they stop whatever they are doing by today.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #9 
PetMania

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Odd thing is that mum is in there with them, and there are a couple female siblings that are getting big enough that they may perhaps be nearly ready to spawn.

And yeah by the end of the day he was joining in on the act haha. Hopefully they stop whatever they are doing by today.
They look identical to me. I think it might be a dominance thing. Or practice. That's what some mammals do. When they are young, they will practice on each other. How old are they?
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #10 
LittleBettaFish

They haven't done that since these photos were taken (that I've seen) so I am leaning towards dominance/practice spawning.

I am pretty sure those males are in the 3-5 month category. Not really sure exactly how old as they sort of just appear in the tank with the parents.