Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #1 
Hadoken Kitty

NPT Questions

Alright, so I am going to do 100% NPTs now.

Step one: What type of dirt do I get? Is it necessary to use a substrate on top of the dirt, or will dirt be okay?

I'm sure I will have question after question once I get back.

P.S. - this has been sparked by the recent passing of my second betta in two weeks, but this one was from SBD. I just want to make things natural at this point and try to make my bettas as healthy as possible.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

You want an organic type soil... Like the miricle grow organic, of ofl (wish she would come back) used dirt from her garden (which had never been touched by chems).
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #3 
RiceFish

Try looking in the planted part of this forum for some NPT help :)

You need to have a cap on top of the dirt so that the water stays nice and clear. You can use sand or a really fine gravel.

I used miracle organic choice potting mix capped with CaribSea Tahitian Moon Sand
RiceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #4 
Hadoken Kitty

Thank you both!!! I have a few plants that when I purchased them, they came in pots. Should I take them out of these mini pots and put them into the soil that way, or just keep them as they are?

I did try. I kept seeing "use dirt", but never any names. Obviously I'm not the best at investigating. >.<
Old 05-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #5 
RiceFish

What type of plants do you have? Each plant has different conditions that they need. Try posting a pic in the planted tank section if you're not sure what plants they are.
Take them out of the pots.
RiceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Yes, take off the pots, you want the roots to be directly in the substrate.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

I used Miracle Gro Organic Potting Mix and the plants loved it and the fish I kept in there had no issues either.

You should take the plants out of their pots. If they have rockwool (I think it is called that), you should gently tease this out of the roots and remove as much as you can before planting.

What kind of plants are they that you have?

Wow that was almost a three at the same time post haha
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #8 
Hadoken Kitty

I have a lot of plants...at this point my floaters have taken over and covered the entire top of the tank. I've started transferring them to different tanks and my onion grasses have died. -sigh- its a complete mess since I'm trying to put it off as long as possible, since I'm moving in two weeks. I just want to be prepared for setting this up when I'm moved.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

Ah okay. I wasn't sure if this was your first time doing a planted tank or not as I know anubias come in pots sometimes and I didn't want you to be burying the rhizome or anything.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #10 
Hadoken Kitty

No. I just don't have dirt right now.

I was doing well until my floaters went psycho. Now they're blocking the light. My girls love it since they like hanging out at the top of my tank anyways...but now the bottom is starting to look...well...bare. I have a few plants that I think are supposed to be plants that I'm used as floaters. Their roots are reaching down really far and I'm all for it since its covering space. I'll try to get a pic later today.