Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #1 
Fastcash124

Hardy low light plants

I'm looking to get some more plants. I have a tiny bushy anubias and a growing small amazon sword. I just upgraded to a 5.5 gallon uncycled with gravel. The tank gets about 6-7 hours of decent sunlight and I dont have a lighted hood. Unless you guys think it would work if I put a plant bulb in the chandelier about 3.5 feet above the tank I don't really plan on adding light to the tank. I'd like some ideas on plants with top cover and all that. btw I can't get anacharis to live. I've gone through two bunches already
Fastcash124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Anacharis is a cold water plant so you'd need to acclimate it to the warmer water, I also had the same thing happen until I found that out :)

Plants still need some light to live, although 3.5 feet is rather far...can you get a desktop lamp on it or something?

As for plants:
Water wisteria
Java Fern (don't bury the rhizome)
Java Moss
Anubias (there are other types, and don't bury the rhizome)
Anacharis (as stated before)
Jungle Val
Myrio (although won't be bright green)
Cabomda (will be darker green)
Water Sprite (grows fast and looks great, can float or bury)

You could also grow some crypts although some of the red plants won't get red without high lighting, but they will still grow. Same with Rotala and Ludwigia although I find Rotala needs higher lighting.

Some liquid fertilizers will help as well, you only have to dose once a week although I split the dose to make it two small meals a week. Works well, I only use API's LeafZone.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #3 
Rilly10

So far my favorites have been mosses (Christmas, Flame, & Taiwan), Anubias of any variety, and I love my Ozelot Sword. It has very pretty spotted leaves, and seems very happy in my low/med light, but may not do as well of you with the light being so far up. I also love Water Sprite which for me is a crazy fast grower, and my betta loves to sit in it. I do have to trim it weekly it grows so fast. My mini chain sword is also very happy. One plant I have wanted to try but have not yet is Bacopa Carolina. I have heard nothing but good things about it. Some others I have tried but did not love were Java Ferns (Windelov is very pretty) and banana plants.
Rilly10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Flame moss needs high lighting, I did a trial and error with that one lol, same with Willow moss as well.

Christmas and Taiwan moss are more like medium light mosses but will do fine in low lights given enough nutrients and then Java moss will just grow like crazy lol, although mine hasn't taken over my tank yet haha, super easy to trim though :)
Old 05-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

Bolbitis will also grow quite happily in the same conditions as anubias/java fern, although I found it likes to have a bit of water movement so I used to put mine up near the filter outlet.

If you do get bolbitis be careful you don't get emersed grown. The leaves look different, and they will die off once it is put in water. Then you have to wait until the new submersed growth comes in.

Most moss species will grow in the conditions you described.

Is the sunlight direct or indirect? Just be careful as sunlight is obviously much much stronger than artificial lighting and even a couple of hours of direct sunlight a day can trigger algae outbreaks.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #6 
Fastcash124

I believe it gets direct and indirect sunlight. Is direct straight from the window to the tank? The sunlight from the window hits it for about 3 hours then the light from the room is there for a few more hours. I've never had a problem with Algae before in any of my smaller tanks, which led me to believe I may not have exactly the most suitable conditions for plants. My tank is just wayyyy to open for my betta atm. He just floats the top and never swims in the open water. Eventually in a month or two hopefully my tank will be cycled and i'll throw in some shrimp. How do I acclimate the Anacharis to warm water? I've killed it in a separate tank of cold water as well.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #7 
Agent13
Reference Team

are you really sure you killed the Anacharis? All of mine "died" before they grew. The leaves turned brown and melted off in a rather ugly way but soon after they sprouted new growth and turned into a jungle.
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #8 
Fastcash124

Well I was hoping that would happen but its been about three weeks in colder water. I saved the one longest sprig which is actually probably over a month old and hardly grew at all. I clipped it the other day right below the new growth and it is still yet to grow but I think the part below the clip is dying.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:49 AM   #9 
Bombalurina

It's funny, I hear a lot of horror stories about people's anacharis failing to grow...mine absolutely flourishes in my 80F tanks. I once forgot to trim it for a few weeks and ended up pulling out a 7ft strand with heaps of bushy green leaves.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
It's funny, I hear a lot of horror stories about people's anacharis failing to grow...mine absolutely flourishes in my 80F tanks. I once forgot to trim it for a few weeks and ended up pulling out a 7ft strand with heaps of bushy green leaves.
Lol same here in my 33, just took over my tank until I moved most of it to my 10 gallon/2 3 gallons and decided it didn't have enough nutrients and died on me >.>