Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #11 
Fastcash124

Could it be mine doesn't have enough nutrients? I had it in a tank alone with no animals, heat, filter or anything just a 2 gallon bowl and the one sprig slowly grew over time. I really wanted this plant too. The last heap rotted around the weight and smelled awful when I changed the water. I want to get a hood and a light today maybe the lighting will help my plants grow but I really didn't wanna use fertilizers.
Fastcash124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:49 PM   #12 
Bombalurina

That might well be it. Mine didn't do well in an unheated, unfiltered tank with just a mystery snail for company, but in a tank full of fish (and their poo) it absolutely thrived. At one point, I was also dosing Flourish but then growth got way out of hand.

If you do try ferts, though, don't use Flourish Excel (liquid CO2) as it causes anacharis to melt.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #13 
Tikibirds

i cant get anacharis to grow either

Any of these should work but if i rember corectly they have very high shipping
http://www.azgardens.com/c-51-crypto...um-plants.aspx

also dwarf lilly will grow tall - possibly too tall for a 5g
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:12 PM   #14 
Fastcash124

I picked up a 6500k bulb today and threw it in the chandelier above the tank but many say it is too tall. Once I find an in-store hood for a 5.5 i'll grab it up.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:10 AM   #15 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastcash124 View Post
I picked up a 6500k bulb today and threw it in the chandelier above the tank but many say it is too tall. Once I find an in-store hood for a 5.5 i'll grab it up.
You don't necessarily need a hood, you can get a regular old desktop lamp and that would provide plenty enough light for your plants! I did that for a long time as well, worked great. What you want to look for is a light that can penetrate through the water nearly to the bottom, that would be considered high lighting but then you can grow anything in them!

Also you can get these lights here: http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/1003545...a#.UaX-MtI3szY They have been proven to be really good cheap lighting for planted tanks!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #16 
Fastcash124

Yea those are ok I have something similar for my snake but if I have to have another thing to plug in I'd rather it just be on top of the tank with no risk of falling in
Old 05-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #17 
Fastcash124

The bulb I have in the chandelier lights up almost the entire room but I haven't found a specific write up on distance. Also if I have too much light will that kill the low light plants?
Old 05-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #18 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Not in my experience, my Anubias flourishes under my higher fluorescent lighting, they'll just be a brighter green.

As far as height, the thing you want is to have light that penetrates your water, otherwise you're plants won't be getting light. In my honest opinion though, I don't think that chandelier is going to work very well.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:33 PM   #19 
Fastcash124

Yea I'm gonna try and grab up a hood or at least a light bar