Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #1 
Nibblez

Fry food

I'm currently conditioning my pair for about half a week now, i've been in the process of looking for fry food but it just got me confused instead. When the fry become free swimming, they eat infusoria that the plants in the tank provide but what do you feed next and when?
I read that you just feed them BBS after that, how about other types of food like the microworms etc?
It it even necessary at all to feed BBS over the other types of food?
How about dry fry foods when they are older?
Nibblez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #2 
Deanna01

I've been reading about this too, and from what I understand, you need to culture infusoria and not simply rely on what your tank might provide. (I started an infusoria culture yesterday, to be sure I can make one, even though I don't have the female yet.)

For the rest of it, I'm eagerly awaiting answers from others. :)
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #3 
Deanna01

BTW, I plan on culturing mosquito larvae too, for my first spawn, since they ought to be plentiful this time of year.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #4 
Nibblez

Then again, i was told you dont need a infusoria culture because you can start feeding them live foods. I just need to check what kinds of food i need to have in hand before i let the pair spawn and also what are the time frames for the foods to feed them.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #5 
Deanna01

I've read differing accounts (some sites said that the fry are aggressive enough to tear the legs off of BBS, for instance), but I figured it was best to err on the side of caution.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

Some people feed vinegar eels as a first food, but I find it difficult to harvest and I believe it is pretty nutritionally empty.

You can feed microworms to quite young and small fry. You just need to be careful not to overfeed and to be thorough with your siphoning as this food does encourage fry to stay on the bottom of the tank and it has been linked to issues with deformed/missing ventrals.

Once the fry are starting to get bigger, you can put them onto BBS. I like to use BBS as a staple as this point, but I will start introducing grindal worms once some of the fry are big enough to take them.

Then from grindals, it's onto blackworms, white worms and frozen foods. I don't feed pellets to my current lot of fish, so can't help there. But I used to wean some of my previous spawns onto pellets when they were actively taking frozen food because by that point they realised that it doesn't have to be alive and moving for it to be edible.

People may suggest walter worms and banana worms, but honestly, I have never seen them for sale in Australia.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #7 
Nibblez

Exactly, my first time breeding so its going to be experimental, i want to have everything on hand and try it out. See what works best. But i cant do that if i dont even know what i need.

@LBF- roughly when should you change the food you are feeding? And when should you start feeding the microworms?

Last edited by Nibblez; 05-27-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:17 PM   #8 
wish4coner

I used egg yolk and water from an existing, npt tank at first. Then, went to MW/BW and WW. I am culturing vinegar eels now. I also tried instant bbs. All worked well. I have to large spawns and had only 4 losses, total.
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

I kind of just put some food in and see what the fry do with it. I have a mixed lot of fry with some quite big and some only around 1cm in size. I feed this tank blackworms (along with BBS and grindals) and it is surprising how small some of the fry are that will take a blackworm.

Basically, if the fry are able to eat the food without appearing to struggle or choke, I will generally start weaning them onto it. Fry all have different growth rates so you have to keep that in mind when asking about when to start different foods. Each spawn is individual and so there are no real set rules.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #10 
Myates

I start out on Banana worms, as they are the smallest of the micro worm cultures.. then I head to Walter worms within a week of hatching, as well as after a week I'll start mixing in BBS, as some fry may be too small to eat BBS right off the bat.

For infusoria, it takes a long time to get adequate amount built up - I use live plants in my fry tank, but mainly for water conditions.. I feed the banana worms right off the bat once they are free swimming and lost their egg sacs. Remember, don't wait until they all are free swimming to start feeding.. a few hours difference in hatch times makes a big difference in development for the fish. So some will be free swimming while others are still darting back up towards the nest. Start once you see your first real free swimmers.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote