Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2013, 11:49 PM   #1 
ktmrox11

The consequences of being overstocked?

I have been told that my tank is overstocked. I have a siamese algae eater, three snails (not sure what kind), two african dwarf frogs (one male, one female) and a baby betta (about 6 weeks old) in a 2.5 gallon tank. I'm just wondering about the consequences of overstocking your tank. All of my animals get along well now that they are familiar with each other. I have no problems with feedings, and they seem to be on different levels of the tank. What is the worst thing that could happen if I keep them so densely populated? I have a ten gallon I could move them to but I doubt that my mom would go for that.
ktmrox11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:58 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

If you have a ten gallon to move them to, do it. Even then it would still be overstocked. The biggest consequence is water quality- fish are always putting out toxic ammonia, and when you are overstocked ammonia levels can easily spike to dangerous levels.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:01 AM   #3 
ktmrox11

How big of a tank would I need to NOT be overstocked? I found out they are malaysian trumpet snails.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:10 AM   #4 
LizbethDawn

Your Siamese Algae Eater is going to get pretty good sized as well and they get aggressive as they get older.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PLvxQaW0pg
That is a full grown Siamese Algae Eater. I remember you saying he was sold you as an oto? I would take him back and get your money back and get a 5 gallon for your betta and leave the snails and frogs in the 2.5.
LizbethDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:10 AM   #5 
ashleigheperry

The algae eater alone can grow to 16 centimeters.
You'd need a 15/20G minimum imo.
ashleigheperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:10 AM   #6 
sareena79

HOLY COW how is that even possible!?! yeah Id swtich them to the 10g and actully Maybe u should just have your betta and your alge eater in that and keep your frogs and snails in the smaller one or some other combo along those lines. maybe the betta in the 2.5 and the other stuff in the big one. IDK just throwing stuff out there but yeah u are definitely overstocked....
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:12 AM   #7 
LizbethDawn

Your algae eater will get to be about 8 inches so if you must have everyone in the same tank I would say 15-20 at the least or go larger to be safe especially because they get aggressive.
LizbethDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:14 AM   #8 
ktmrox11

Oh woahhhhh then it's not a Siamese algae eater, its about one inch long and I have had him for five months. He's not getting any bigger.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:15 AM   #9 
ashleigheperry

They live up to ten years and it can take them several years to reach their full length.
ashleigheperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:18 AM   #10 
ktmrox11

Well I'm not even sure that it's a Siamese. When I bought him, I was just told that it was an "algae eater" simply that. I'm just guessing based on his appearance right now. He's also not aggressive at all. Let's just assume for the moment that he is NOT a Siamese algae eater and this is as big as he is going to get.

Tags
algae eater, frogs, overstocked tank, overstocking, snails