Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2013, 11:29 PM   #1 
TheOnlyCanvas

Aqueon Heater Issues?

I purchased a 100 watt Aqueon submersible heater for my 20 gallon. It is upright in the tank, with the dial out of the water, above the minimum water line. The first time I turned it on it made this weird knocking/clicking noise when it was heating the water. It freaked me out, so I unplugged it.

When I plugged it back in a few days later it continued to make the knocking noise, and now has condensation on the inside, like when you leave a water bottle in a hot car.

I assume that having water inside the heater is dangerous. Should I replace it? If so, what with?
TheOnlyCanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:00 AM   #2 
LizbethDawn

I have always used Aqueon heaters and what you're describing is a broken one. They have a life time warranty so I would call Aqueon and describe your problem and tell them that is how you received it from the store and see if they'll send you a new one or if you need to return it to the store.
It's a good brand I've had 4 and none have broken on me yet.
LizbethDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #3 
TheOnlyCanvas

Thanks! I called them yesterday and the rep was super nice. They're sending me a new one :)
Old 05-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #4 
peachii

Also it's good to note that Petco and especially Petsmart has a 30 day no questions asked return policy. It goes for fish and anything else purchased in their store.

We had bought a 10 gallon tank kit when it was on sale around christmas timeat Petsmart. We used the tank almost immediately but knew the filter was to strong for only 1 betta and little cover to break the current. After the tanks filled in about 2 months later, we pulled the stronger filter out to upgrade it, since we added 2 more fish to the tank ( and snails that hitchhiked in with the plants) and the filter would not work. it was defective from the start. It looked brand new, even though it was over the return policy time when we took it in - they got one off the shelf with a smile and replaced it. Best customer service I have ever seen from any retail store. Petsmart really has good customer service policies. And i have worked in retail for my entire adult life as a store manager - i don't say that about customer service lightly at all.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:45 PM   #5 
Briz

Actually for Petsmart, you have to have the receipt to return anything electronic, i.e. anything that has a plug.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #6 
TheOnlyCanvas

The receipt I had actually "expired" a week ago, so I opted to call Central Aquatics (Aqueon) directly to use the lifetime warranty. I was told that the condensation was not too worrisome - only water pooling in the bottom would be dangerous. But the rep also said that the ticking sound it was making was a worse problem, because it meant the magnetic parts weren't functioning properly. She just had me e-mail her a picture of the original receipt, and then she put in an order for a new one. I just have to provide a picture of the original heater with the cord cut as proof that I destroyed it. She was very pleasant!

Tags
aqueon, heater