Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2013, 08:36 AM   #11 
Trunkzdbz

Thanks lilnagrim, I have a 5 gallon bucket will siphon clean tank and gravel once a week for a total of 20 fresh gallons added a month and 20 dirty gallons removed, with just 10 gallons of original water remaining; basically I'll clean 2/3 of the aquarium water within a month at 5 gallons a week that should be perfect.
Trunkzdbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:00 AM   #12 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah that sounds good although, I know you'll probably hate me for this since I'm going to make you do more work lol, but it would be better if you could take out at least 8 gallons. That's about 25% of your water volume.

Soooo, if you could take out a total of 10 gallons a week, so only two buckets filled that would be the best for your fish friends. You have to remember that your Pleco is pooping non-stop! So in order to keep your girls and other fish happy you're going to need to siphon out more water and more poop. Does that make sense?

Basically you don't want your fish living in an unflushed toilet all the time! That would be bad!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #13 
Trunkzdbz

OK got it, 8 gallons it is, thanks lilnaugrim.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #14 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You're welcome just want to keep your fishy's healthy!!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #15 
RussellTheShihTzu

Congratulations on the tank. Lil has given you some great advice. Since you have shrimp, here's a quote from a shrimp breeder which might interest you. The subject was shrimp death. After sudden deaths, I quit using hot tap water and didn't have any more problems.

"You used the hot water tap to fill your tank

Many people use the hot water tank to regulate the temperature of the tap water when making water changes during the colder months of the year. Shortly after the water change your shrimp start dying one by one.
Suggestion: *Never* use the hot water tap. The hot water has increased levels of copper, lead and possibly other heavy metals toxic to shrimp. Due to certain chemicals added to the hot water, the copper pipes corrode more easily and release copper directly into the water. Other chemicals are also added to the boiler which, helped by the temperature of the water, release heavy metals into the water. Whereas fish will be fine (in the short term anyway), shrimp will react adversely immediately."
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #16 
Melodica

Where in the world did you get that tank?? I've been looking everywhere for a 30 gallon long and can't find one.

It looks beautiful!! I love the volcano - that looks awesome. You have some lucky fish!
Melodica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:01 AM   #17 
Trunkzdbz

Thank you so much Melodica for the compliments and kind words. I got this 30 gallon long tank by luck, recently I was talking to my upstairs neighbor who likes aquariums himself and loves to go fishing and cooks the fish he catch's. I told him about my 5 gallon and the ladies my Betta girls and he told me he had a huge fish tank he does not use any more and if I would like to have it, course I told him yes. He had it in the back yard of our house unprotected from the elements all through the winter it looked terrible when I first saw it like a dinosaur pooped all over it inside and out, he told me he had gotten it from a neighbor on our street who moved away and gave it to him. I picked it up and carried my ladies new home over my shoulder put it in my bath tub and scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed for my girls to have that happy home cause I love them. I am currently the third owner of this tank, it has scratches here and there besides that its flawless, I really lucked out getting this beauty from him, he told me not to give him anything that he was glad to just help me out, but hes 72 years old and likes his Natural Light beers so I gave him a six pack of Natural Light and a big bottle of Bacardi gold for giving me the tank he was happy and graciously accepted. I washed this beauty with water and salt multiple times got every corner cleaned out perfect and let her dry, bought all the pieces I needed on Ebay and $500.00 later couple weeks of waiting, and some elbow grease she was up and running beautifully for the ladies. This hyper link shows my 30 gallon long tank aquarium on my Youtube page, feel free to comment and subscribe more videos to come as I add fish and decorations shorty. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otDbMfYQ_Fc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQuThDztxYI

Last edited by Trunkzdbz; 06-05-2013 at 01:05 AM.

Tags
30 gallon aquarium