Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2013, 01:05 AM   #1 
liz26914

I don't kno whts wrong w him. worried

A couple days ago, I got back from visiting my brother. I was gone for a week and left my bettas at home bc i remembered reading on this forum that it was ok to leave them for a week. A couple weeks before, i noticed that one of my bettas, Kai, had funky fins. it looked like light fin rot. so I did multiple water changes and started doing 30% everyday, instead of my usual 10% once a week. It ddn't get worse but it ddnt get better either.
The day after I got back, I noticed that Kai looks really skinny. His head looks huge compared to his body. None of the other bettas look that skinny.
His tankmate, Tikvah, is pretty new. Kai used to have his own tank. Tikvah is a lot bigger than him. Could he be this skinny because of stress? They flared at each other through the divider when they first got into the tank, but I haven't seen them flare at each other since.

Housing
What size is your tank? divided 10 gal
What temperature is your tank? mid 70s
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? divided with another male betta

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? nls pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 times a day. 2pellets each time

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 10%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? dechlorinator

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? very skinny, something going on with his fins.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? no
When did you start noticing the symptoms? fins, I noticed 3 weeks ago. skinniness, yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? clean water, a little bit more food
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? i got him a couple months ago
Attached Images

liz26914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:35 AM   #2 
Saphira101

That looks to me like highly progressed fin rot. I think that you may need to use more than clean water at this point, there are a lot of medications out there. I know that you can use aquarium salt, but I don't know the dosage. I am using Maracyn Two right now to treat fin rot, but I think that it may be a hassle for you, because it kills live plants. I am assuming your tank is planted? What does his poop look like? Is it white and stringy?

You also may want to start doing 50% water changes from now on, as 10% is a bit small.

Last edited by Saphira101; 05-28-2013 at 01:38 AM.
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:05 AM   #3 
tngirl92

Oh, he looks bad. :( Poor baby. I agree with the above, but I think I would dose with both Maracyn I and Maracyn 2 to cover both the fin rot, and any parasite he may have that is making him that skinny. I would also move him to his own hospital tank immediately before dosing. Stress Coat can be used with Maracyn, and I swear by it for speeding up the fin healing process. After you finish with Maracyn, I would keep him in quarantine for another five days with one dose of aquarium salt and stress coat in the beginning. Make sure he is improving before moving him back to his regular tank. And keep a close eye on your other fish!
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #4 
liz26914

thank u so much. will go to petco today to see if they have maracyn 1 and 2 and if they don't I'll order it online
Old 05-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #5 
NorthernLights

PetsMart usually has a better selection of meds for fish, if you have one near you.

I second the clean water. 10% once per week is not very much. If you think about it, it's a 10 gallon tank, but with 2 fish that's only 5 gallons per betta. Not a bad amount of space, to be sure, but a 5 gallon needs more water changes than a 10 gallon.

I notice you mention the temp being mid 70's. Do you have a thermometer in the tank in both fish compartments? It may be that your fish are both cold (74 is cold for a betta, 76 is still a bit on the cool side, 78-80 is what is best for them). Is your heater adjustable or pre-set?
NorthernLights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #6 
liz26914

his poop is fine. its brown and not stringy. the only odd thing about it is tht it is clumped. its round. one of my other betta do too. i posted a thread worried about it and ppl told me tht i should try feeding them less. It ddnt make a difference so i went back to feeding them 6 pellets a day.

Petco and walmart ddnt have maracy I or 2 so I'm going to order it online.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #7 
liz26914

i have an adjustuble heater. I try to keep it at 80. but it currently is 76. i'll try to raise it.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #8 
liz26914

the knob on the heater is already as high as it can go
Old 06-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #9 
liz26914

just finished the 5 days of maracyn one and two. he dsn't look any different. he is still very skinny and his fins don't look any better. should i do another treatment of maracyn 1 and 2? or just do a dose of aquarium salt?
Attached Images