Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #1 
PersonalityUnknown

2.5g Betta Tank

This is my 2.5g betta tank. I've been desperately trying to find him a small tank mate that he isn't going to kill. I've tried ghost shrimp, two he killed and one he ate. A smaller female guppy was his friend for a few days before she got sucked into the filter.

I've been looking for something small and beneficial for my tank that would go good with the Doctor.

I've found Thai Micro Crabs that I'd absolutely LOVE to try. What do you guys think? What kind of plants or wood that could fit in a 2.5 that will give him decent living and hiding space?
PersonalityUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #2 
Laki

I wouldn't put much else in a 2.5 other than a snail or shrimp. Mystery snails poop a lot and add to the bioload so I would go for a nerite (less bioload) or amano shrimp. I haven't tried amano but they're larger than RCS and ghost and apparantly stand up for themselves against a curious betta.
For plants/wood you can get mopani driftwood (boil it first to get out some of the tannins) and any live plant your light can sustain. Most likely the low light plants who don't need Co2 or super sand for growing.

I just read the link you provided, micro crabs might be harrassed by a particularly nippy betta. They only grow to be 1 inch?!?!? CUTE
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #3 
tngirl92

I have a baby mystery snail that my guy gets along with fairly well. I'm prepared to move him to his own tank if he gets too big, though.
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #4 
PersonalityUnknown

Okay so after running all over the state of NY (I probabally drove a good 50 miles calling pet shop after pet shop) I finally found the Doctor's tank mate!

Meet Zugzug, the Zebra Nerite with a mutated shell 8)

I really really really really wanted a shrimp but no where I called had them in stock >:C

Last edited by PersonalityUnknown; 05-28-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #5 
Laki

I love nerites :) congrats!

Try your local classifieds. You'll be surprised how many people have shrimp as pets and have/are breeding them. That's how I wound up with mine.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #6 
RussellTheShihTzu

Thai Micro Crab bodies are only the size of a pencil eraser; an inch includes their legs. . I have 8 in with Si and I love them. They are shy and do need lots of hiding places and plants.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #7 
PersonalityUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
Thai Micro Crab bodies are only the size of a pencil eraser; an inch includes their legs. . I have 8 in with Si and I love them. They are shy and do need lots of hiding places and plants.
Omg cute!! Do you think I'd overload my tank if I got a few? (One or two) now that I have my zebra nerite? I plan on eventually upgrading to a 10g, but idk when
Old 05-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #8 
RussellTheShihTzu

They'd probably stay hiding all the time because your Betta is aggressive. You need LOTS of hiding places and as your lovely tank is decorated now, it wouldn't be enough. When you upgrade to a 10 gallon, you could have TMCs and Dwarf Orange Crayfish by themselves in the 2.5. Or, you could leave your Betta in the 2.5 and have a 10 gallon invertebrate tank.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote