Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #1 
slug61

Pure Ammonia

Where to you buy pure ammonia in Ontario, Canada????

No one seems to have it.
slug61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #2 
AyalaCookiejar

I have no idea, but I can tell you this:

It took me an awful long time searching before I found pure ammonia, and when I did, I attempted a fishless cycle with it for 2 months. Nothing. Then I went and bought a $7 bottle of Tetra Safestart and used it and it literally cycled my tank immediately.

I've heard that it has to be used in a fish-in cycle (too high of ammonia will just kill the bacteria in SafeStart) which is what I used it in, but it worked amazingly, and it's worked for others here, too. I think it doesn't work for people who are trying to use it to speed up a fishless cycle.

At least, that's why I'm assuming you're asking about pure ammonia :p This is just my personal opinion. A $7 bottle of SafeStart is way more worth it to me than the hassle to find ammonia, attempt to cycle a tank, test every day, etc...
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #3 
slug61

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
I have no idea, but I can tell you this:

It took me an awful long time searching before I found pure ammonia, and when I did, I attempted a fishless cycle with it for 2 months. Nothing. Then I went and bought a $7 bottle of Tetra Safestart and used it and it literally cycled my tank immediately.

I've heard that it has to be used in a fish-in cycle (too high of ammonia will just kill the bacteria in SafeStart) which is what I used it in, but it worked amazingly, and it's worked for others here, too. I think it doesn't work for people who are trying to use it to speed up a fishless cycle.

At least, that's why I'm assuming you're asking about pure ammonia :p This is just my personal opinion. A $7 bottle of SafeStart is way more worth it to me than the hassle to find ammonia, attempt to cycle a tank, test every day, etc...
Already used the SafeStart. i've had my fish for over 3 months, the tank cycled with SafeStart, but i lost it when i added a snail a month ago.
I re-added SafeStart 9 days ago.
Problem is that my fish developed fin rot 7 days in so i took him out to treat him with AQ salt.
I need an ammonia source...i've added a bunch of omega one pellets, but i don't think it will be enough ammonia to keep the cycle going.
I currently have a reading of 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 15 nitrates,
i'm on day 9
Old 05-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Is the snail still in there? If so, that's plenty enough ammonia to keep the cycle fed.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #5 
AyalaCookiejar

Yeah, the cycle won't crash with the snail in there. I had the same issue, so I know why you are concerned.

The cycle will only be as strong as the amount of livestock in the tank feeding it (if that makes sense). So if you were to have three snails, the cycle would establish so that it would support the bio-load of exactly three snails. Any more and there is a mini-cycle.

I'm not sure what the bio-load of a snail is compared to a betta, but I think the food itself will be just fine if the snail is still in there... I think pure ammonia might harm the snail.

Anyways, I got my pure ammonia from Ace Hardware, but since you are in Canada, I have NO idea what you have there. It's like 10% janitorial strength ammonia or something like that.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #6 
slug61

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Is the snail still in there? If so, that's plenty enough ammonia to keep the cycle fed.
No the snail was removed after 1 day, that was a month ago.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #7 
slug61

Quote:
Yeah, the cycle won't crash with the snail in there. I had the same issue, so I know why you are concerned.

The cycle will only be as strong as the amount of livestock in the tank feeding it (if that makes sense). So if you were to have three snails, the cycle would establish so that it would support the bio-load of exactly three snails. Any more and there is a mini-cycle.

I'm not sure what the bio-load of a snail is compared to a betta, but I think the food itself will be just fine if the snail is still in there... I think pure ammonia might harm the snail.

Anyways, I got my pure ammonia from Ace Hardware, but since you are in Canada, I have NO idea what you have there. It's like 10% janitorial strength ammonia or something like that.
My readings today were 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 15 nitrate

no one here seems to have ammonia...i don't know what to do??
Old 05-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #8 
AyalaCookiejar

If the cycle crashes, the bacteria will die and cause an ammonia spike, so I don't think you've lost your cycle yet.

If you can't find pure ammonia, I honestly don't know what else to tell you besides to continue dropping in pellets or use something like SafeStart when you put him back in there. You can try the raw shrimp thing? Or could you possibly put the snail back in?

If the entire cycle crashes, it takes forever to re-cycle. If you lose some of your BB but not all, it won't take near as long to re-cycle. So even if you can maintain a weak cycle, it's better than no cycle at all.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #9 
slug61

Quote:
If the cycle crashes, the bacteria will die and cause an ammonia spike, so I don't think you've lost your cycle yet.

If you can't find pure ammonia, I honestly don't know what else to tell you besides to continue dropping in pellets or use something like SafeStart when you put him back in there. You can try the raw shrimp thing? Or could you possibly put the snail back in?

If the entire cycle crashes, it takes forever to re-cycle. If you lose some of your BB but not all, it won't take near as long to re-cycle. So even if you can maintain a weak cycle, it's better than no cycle at all.
I don't have the snail anymore....my fish head butted and freaked so i gave him away.

I just re-checked water....
.25 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 15 nitrates
Old 05-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You can use raw shrimp, but the pellets should be giving it enough ammonia to eat off of.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote