Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #11 
slug61

Update:

I found it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
at a small co-op feed place, but, i don't know the strength of it....it doesn't say anywhere
it just says "household ammonia"

So, i added 10 drops....and tested
it now tests at 1ppm ammonia

is this enough??
when do i test again??

Last edited by slug61; 05-29-2013 at 11:30 AM.
slug61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #12 
AyalaCookiejar

That'll be plenty, any more might kill any BB you have left. I would test in another 24 hours... See if its at 0 or still 1. If it's at 0 you can keep adding 10 drops daily.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #13 
slug61

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
That'll be plenty, any more might kill any BB you have left. I would test in another 24 hours... See if its at 0 or still 1. If it's at 0 you can keep adding 10 drops daily.
Good.
My nitrates are at 15ppm right now
Old 05-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #14 
AyalaCookiejar

Yeah, but it doesn't necessarily mean anything unless you did a water change very recently.

If you don't see much change in ammonia in 24 hours, I would actually do a 50% change to lower the ammonia. It is possible that some of your BB died off and they might not be able to handle 1 ppm ammonia right now.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #15 
slug61

Quote:
Yeah, but it doesn't necessarily mean anything unless you did a water change very recently.

If you don't see much change in ammonia in 24 hours, I would actually do a 50% change to lower the ammonia. It is possible that some of your BB died off and they might not be able to handle 1 ppm ammonia right now.
Checked water this morning ...
1ppm ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10/20ppm nitrates

Same readings as yesterday. What do i do now?
Old 05-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #16 
AyalaCookiejar

Basically, you wait. You can completely restart the cycle and build up to 4ppm ammonia or just leave it at 1ppm, either way you'll want to test daily. If by some chance there is still some BB alive, adding more ammonia could possibly kill them off. You could probably try lowering the ammonia first before adding up to 4ppm.

Cycling is kind of annoying because its guess, test, guess, test every single day. That's why I use SafeStart to cycle mine, lol. I'm lazy.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #17 
slug61

Quote:
Basically, you wait. You can completely restart the cycle and build up to 4ppm ammonia or just leave it at 1ppm, either way you'll want to test daily. If by some chance there is still some BB alive, adding more ammonia could possibly kill them off. You could probably try lowering the ammonia first before adding up to 4ppm.

Cycling is kind of annoying because its guess, test, guess, test every single day. That's why I use SafeStart to cycle mine, lol. I'm lazy.
I did add SafeStart 11 days ago...that's why i removed my fish to treat him, cause i didn't want to ruin the SafeStart process.
Maybe i've killed it already??
Old 05-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #18 
AyalaCookiejar

Safe start can only be used with fish-in cycles because ammonia levels in fish less cycles will kill them. No food source will also kill them, as will any exposure to untreated tap water, or turning off the filter too long.

But yes, depending on what you were treating him with, it could kill the BB but the safestart "process" is nearly instant.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #19 
slug61

Quote:
Safe start can only be used with fish-in cycles because ammonia levels in fish less cycles will kill them. No food source will also kill them, as will any exposure to untreated tap water, or turning off the filter too long.

But yes, depending on what you were treating him with, it could kill the BB but the safestart "process" is nearly instant.
My fish was taken out on day 8 to a QT tank to treat, so nothing was done to the tank.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:41 PM   #20 
AyalaCookiejar

Yeah and the food source was removed for 3 days. What I'm saying is the safestart probably worked, but the BB were starved of food and crashed the cycle.