Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #11 
Fishy Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowntaillove3 View Post
Um... Looking at your signature, is Sharkbait separated from the girls? If he isn't I would STRONGLY suggest getting a divider. Welcome to the forum!
See my AV...take a look behind my boy, lol. Sneaky butthead was disguised as a girl and made into my sorority for a long time. I only noticed when he went through a growth spurt overnight & built a massive bubble nest. I got him out before I had fry thank goodness.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #12 
crowntaillove3

Sharkbait, is he in with the girls?
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:07 PM   #13 
SharkBait25

Yes he is. He's a bit of an older betta though. He doesn't flare/chase at the females, honestly doesn't even acknowledge them.
SharkBait25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #14 
crowntaillove3

Um..... You're taking a HUGE chance, but whatever works. If you can, I would suggest separating them.
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #15 
SharkBait25

Don't worry, I understand. I was uneasy about it at first, but I have a lot of supervision time right now that I'm on summer break. Thank you for your concern though. If anything happens or if the situation gets too uncomfortable, I'll remove him.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #16 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It's not so much him picking on the girls that I would be worried about. Girls can still be extremely territorial and aggressive. There's also a chance of your girls becoming Egg-bound and sick.

But if you're convinced it will work out, then go for it. I just don't want to see a beautiful boy like him getting picked on!

But otherwise

EDIT: sorry posted the same time as you so you can either disregard me or whatever you like haha
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:23 PM   #17 
Fishy Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkBait25 View Post
Don't worry, I understand. I was uneasy about it at first, but I have a lot of supervision time right now that I'm on summer break. Thank you for your concern though. If anything happens or if the situation gets too uncomfortable, I'll remove him.
I would have left my boy in my sorority because my girls really liked him. He was a key part to their hierarchy. The only problem was he was mating with all my girls. Honestly I knew he wouldn't kill the girls & the girls wouldn't kill him, but I know he was mating with them. I couldn't have a bunch of fry in a 10g sorority.

He thought it was great though...a whole harem to himself.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #18 
SharkBait25

I'll look into the egg bound sickness part, but right now I do feel comfortable with them together. I was surprised at how they all ignore each other. Ares, my alpha female, has an aggressive personality in small confines, but since I moved the sorority into the 29 she's completely mellowed out.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #19 
Fishy Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkBait25 View Post
I'll look into the egg bound sickness part, but right now I do feel comfortable with them together. I was surprised at how they all ignore each other. Ares, my alpha female, has an aggressive personality in small confines, but since I moved the sorority into the 29 she's completely mellowed out.
Have the girls shown any signs of being eggy? If not they may not be interested in mating & that would not be an issue. Does your male build bubble nest at all?
Old 05-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #20 
SharkBait25

The females don't have any symptoms of being egg bound (just checked to be sure after some research), two for sure are a little young I think, and Sharkbait doesn't really build bubble nests. He blows a few in a corner of the tank but the bubble décor mixed with the low flow from the filter make it impossible for him to keep one.