Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2013, 03:24 PM   #1 
Tikibirds

Unhappy Am I missing something here...?

Mr Magic Mushroom is off his game and has been for a while and I cant figure out what his issue is.

Housing
What size is your tank? Divided 10
What temperature is your tank? 79
Does your tank have a filter? yes and no. It was cycled but I couldnt take the noise from the filter any longer (tank is next to my bed) so I unpluggged it and added a sponge filter last night. Yay for recycling
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? small bubbles from sponge filter but its on the other side of the divider
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Another male

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1X a day- few pellets

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 1X a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress coat and a drop or 2 of amquel plus (tap has ammonia at .25)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: .25 from tap
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH: 7.8
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? clamped, color loss, fin damage not healing, kinda fast gill movement off and on

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? lethargic- floats mostly at the surface or lays on the sand. However he does still swim around a bit
When did you start noticing the symptoms? he has been "off" for a few weeks

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Furan 2 and some AQ salt. Im treating him in the 10G since he does have a tank mate
His color has come back since last night

Does your fish have any history of being ill? Treated him last summer for some kind of bacterial issues - twitching, lethargic, disintergrating fins. Plus he almost froze to death in the Yukon on the way to New York last winter

How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure - got him from walmart in Alaska back in November 2011. He seemed to be a young adult at the time.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

.25 ammo from your tap isn't much & once your sponge filter is seeded it should process that out with no problem. It is possible its old age as, if I'm not mistaken, the average lifespan for a store bought Betta is 2-3 yrs. Sorry I'm not much help. Its so hard to diagnose these guys. :-/
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:18 PM   #3 
Pearl2011

If the other betta isnt ill treating him can cause more harm then good. Your pH is a bit high for bettas (around 7 is better) so that be an issue. Is the 0.25 ammonia in the tank?? That would definitly be an issue. By fin damage is it fin rot just some tattered fins?
Pearl2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:11 AM   #4 
Tikibirds

The .25 is from the tap but since the tank is in the cycling process, I am assuming its in the water as well. I do have some anaacharis but not sure its enough to do anything

It has been suggested that since most of my bettas are acting "off" there may be something wrong with my tap water or something from the old plumbing that is upsetting them-other then ammonia - something that conditioner is not geting rid of or the water itself is lacking.

In his case, it may just be age catching up with him, especially since he almost literally froze while we drove through canada last winter. Only him and another CT made it to NY alive

I think I may try 75% tap water and 25% distilled water and very slowly acclimate them to it for the next water change.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

I would try bottled drinking water rather than distilled water. Drinking water contains dissolved salts, which are needed for good health (in both people and fish). Distilled water doesn't have these.

If your tank is cycling, perhaps there's something going on with this causing them stress?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #6 
Pearl2011

During the cycling process ammonia and nitrite will be present, which can make fish 'off' and can be quite toxic. Anacharis (in my experience) is an ammonia sink.

Before you add the water, set it out a in advance and add conditioner and then test it. Maybe that will solve the problem?

And wow that is one lucky wish!! Since Canada is known for its great weather and all that stuff :P
Pearl2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #7 
Tikibirds

I was thinking distilled since its just water and would only be about 2 gallons out of 10 and that he wuld be getting the minerals and stuff needed from the 8 gallons of tap water.

As for the cycling part - I dont think that is the cause because he has been acting odd for months, long before I added the sponge filter. The last time he acted normal was last summer when he was in a 20ish gallon storage bin that was cycled