Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2008, 09:37 PM   #1 
s72450

Sick Fish?

I've had Juliet for about two months now and she's been a very lively female betta. I had her housed in a sorority for a few weeks with three other girls and then I seperated them after one died and I didn't want the three fighting.

I did this last week and now I've noticed that Juliet has gotten very still. She looks fatter than normal although she's recieved the same amount of food. Tonight she has swam behind the filter and remains at the top of the water without hardly moving.

I am trying to figure out what to do for the poor thing, I can't see any obvious signs that she's hurt, but I know from her behavior that she can't last long this why.

I thought about doing a water change, figuring fresh water would do her some good but I'm just not sure she could survive the stress from being caught and then moving into a small container while I change out the water. She's so weak that I can't see that helping her any.

I really don't know what to do at this point beyond seeing if she makes it over the night, if so I'll go ahead and change out her water first thing in the morning.

In the meanwhile, any suggestions? I really don't want to lose this one.
s72450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:53 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Has she been eating at all, this past week? I had a fish one time that acted like that and it turned out that he was constipated. Are her scales raised? If so, it could be dropsy. I don't know what size tank she's in but you could do a partial water change so you wouldn't have to move her. Good luck with her. I hope by morning, she'll be feeling better.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:58 PM   #3 
s72450

Her scales do look raised. She's in a 2.5gallon. What do you do about dropsy?
s72450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:39 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

It can be treated but can't be cured. Some people say Epsom salt baths are good but someone else will have to tell you the dosage.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote