Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #1 
JoeyAndSheldon

Question Betta non-stop flaring at reflection

Hello everyone, my name's Joey, and I just joined this forum. I have a wonderful little red and blue veiltail betta named Sheldon. I've had him for about 8 months, and he lives happily and healthy in a 10 gallon tank that is heated to 78 degress and filtered. He shares it with a school of 5 white cloud minnows that he gets along with fine.

The PROBLEM I have is a new background I got for the tank. It's really pretty, it's a picture of driftwood and plants, and it brings out the color nicely in all of the inhabitants. I put it on the back of the tank behind the glass, and then he started flaring. It IS kinda reflective, but for my old backdrop, a drawing of a lighthouse, he did this as well, but eventually got over it in about 3 days. THIS TIME, however, I've had it up for 6 days, and he still hasn't gotten over it, and TODAY, I came home to see his fins are torn; assuming he bit them because of stress, so I covered the backdrop with three white sheets of paper, including an unanswered page of a history test . He's not flaring anymore, but I noticed he only flared when the light was on. But I have a live plant in there, so I still do need the light. Plus, the light just makes everything look better. Any ideas on how I can keep the background and have a calm betta?
Attached Images

JoeyAndSheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #2 
peachii

Maybe I am a nerd but I like the looks of the story pages as the backdrop.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #3 
JoeyAndSheldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachii View Post
Maybe I am a nerd but I like the looks of the story pages as the backdrop.
hahaha, thanks! Those were extra credit questions on a history test.
JoeyAndSheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #4 
Kalari32

I heard that if you mix sugar and water, and lightly put it on the backdrop and allow to dry, that it will help with the reflection. I'm not sure if it works, but that's what i hear.
Kalari32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
background, betta, fish, flaring, tail biter