Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #1 
jesssan2442

how long does aquarium water need to sit?

I have an empty 10g that I filled with water last week and I'm wondering if I can use the water for PWC on my four tanks... I'm almost out of conditioner and I don't know when I'll be able to go to the store again... I'm not sure if my water contains chlorine or chloramine (not sure on spelling), I've heard that water has to sit any where from 2 days to a few weeks and I'd like a more specific answer! I can make time to go to the store if this is not a suitible amount of time, it would be a good excuse to go to the petstore
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

A week SHOULD be fine... But letting the water sit will never remove heavy metals. Chlorine evaporates fairly quickly and chloramine takes quite a bit longer. I would personally try to get water conditioner but chances are they will be fine.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #3 
Stone

+1 to what matt said 48 hours is usually long enough for water to sit but no amount of sitting gets rid of the heavy metals
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #4 
jesssan2442

ok I'll see if I can make it to the petstore tomorrow because my water change day is thursday and I like to do them early in the morning before I start all the stuff I have for the day!!
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

I thought chloramine doesn't actually evaporate. Therefore, leaving it out for a day or a week isn't going to make a difference.

I think they put chloramine in a lot of municipal water sources nowadays, so I would personally not risk it.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I don't think they add chloramine here... But if ammonia ever gets into the water then it bonds with the chlorine and makes the more toxic chloramine. I researched it and apparently chloramine does not evaporate but it does break down. What it breaks down into is still toxic though, but this can all be stopperd with water conditioner.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #7 
jaysee
Reference Team

Chloramines can be removed by aging, but for all intents and purposes the length of time required to do so is not feasible. One would need several holding tanks, just for a normal water hangs schedule. Water conditioner is much cheaper and takes up much less space.

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #8 
Corsica

Good info! I'd like to ask a question along the same lines. How long is too long for conditioned water to sit? I sometimes premix and then don't use everything I have mixed. How long is it safe to sit and still be used for water changes?
Corsica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #9 
jaysee
Reference Team

If there are chloramines in the water, the conditioner breaks it down to ammonia and chlorine. Prime (the only one I use, so the only one I know about) detoxifies for up to 24 hours.

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #10 
Corsica

So would it be ok to recondition water that has been sitting for 24 hours or more? I use Prime and API Stress Coat.
Corsica is offline   Reply With Quote