Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2013, 12:22 AM   #1 
XXCiceroXx

White growth on sand?

Hello, I was wondering if anyone here would be able to identify a type of white growth that seems to be growing on the bottom of my tank...it does not move like any type of clear living organism would, and looks seemingly like some type of white algae almost. The tank is going through a 7 day medicine cycle for my betta's fin rot disease, so I don't want to have to go and remove this white stuff until that's over unless it's harmful to my fish.

I'll try to add some pics of it later, but cannot right now; figured getting the question up would be top priority. Thanks for any help you can give. :)
XXCiceroXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:30 AM   #2 
Saphira101

What do you mean by medicine cycle? If the fish is still in the tank, he could be shedding his slime coat in reaction to the medication (that's what mine did).
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:43 AM   #3 
XXCiceroXx

The directions say to put the medicine in daily for a week; that week period where I'm putting the medicine in is what I mean by medicine cycle.

Got a pretty good pic of it, although there is much less of it in the other parts of the tank...it's a 10 gallon btw, not sure if it's relevant or not;

http://i39.tinypic.com/x52ow8.jpg

*edit*

By the amount of it, I don't think it would be shedding.
XXCiceroXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #4 
shellieca

What med are you using? I've been using maracyn & I've had white fuzzy stuff in my tank, I just vac it up. My VT has fin rot & I've been doing every other day water changes to make sure his water stays clean. If you're using a powder like maracyn that could be causing it.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote