Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2013, 10:31 PM   #11 
Kalari32

I just treated the water with pond care stress coat +plus fish + tap water conditioner. It completely neutralizes chlorine, chloramine, and associated ammonia.
Kalari32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:34 PM   #12 
Kalari32

I'm kinda freaking out >.<
Old 05-28-2013, 10:35 PM   #13 
Starfish1

If you don't have anything to test the water parameters with, I'd do a big water change right away. 25% doesn't seem like enough to change weekly, the filter doesnt remove ammonia, nitrates, or nitrates. Only water changes can do that. I usually do 50% every week in my tanks but maybe someone else can help me out on this. :)

Also, I'd recommend getting a thermometer as soon as possible, especially if you have a heater going in that tank. He needs a stable temp of 78-82 and there's no way of knowing without it. When you're changing his water, he needs the same temperature of water put back in that you took out, otherwise this can shock his system. You can run the thermometer under the tap or just place it in the bucket for a minute or two to make sure its within a degree or so before you put his new water in the tank.
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:35 PM   #14 
Kalari32

Oh also I dont have a tempmoter.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #15 
Kalari32

Okay thank you! Do you think the heater will be okay in the tank for tonight, and maybe tomorrow? Or do you think it would heat it too much? Because its a 100 watt? I did put it on the lowest setting though. I want him to be okay. I dont wanna be a betta fish killer /.\
Old 05-28-2013, 10:38 PM   #16 
NorthernLights

100 watts is a lot, but I've used a 25 watt in just under a gallon and been fine. Watch your thermometer VERY carefully, and you may want to turn the heater down to several degrees below where you want it. His water should be somewhere between 78-80 degrees.

You can get a nice simple glass aquarium thermometer for about $2 at Wal-Mart, or about $4 at Petco or Petsmart.

Grey belly and chin is a sign of severe stress. It can signal the onset of dropsy. Dropsy is a symptom and not a disease. My guess with a 5 gallon tank and 25% water changes once a week is poor water quality. If you've heard of "New Tank Syndrome", this could be exactly what you have. Warm him up (slowly) and give him a 100% water change.

I notice you have white gravel in your tank. Some folks think that white gravel causes additional stress in fish. Other people don't have problems with it. Let's work on temp and water quality first, though.

Last edited by NorthernLights; 05-28-2013 at 10:40 PM. Reason: added thermometer
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:41 PM   #17 
Kalari32

I do not have a thermometer though D:

My heater doesnt show what degrees to put it on, but only has low to high.

I hope he lives. If he does, I will definitely be setting up my 20 gallon for him!!
Old 05-28-2013, 10:44 PM   #18 
Starfish1

You only used stress coat right? Not stress coat plus another water conditioner? You only need one of those. :)

If you're worried you could just turn the heater off until you get the thermometer. You only really need 50 watts for that size tank, but on the lowest setting it might be perfectly fine depending on the heater and the temp of the room. If its 78 in your room he should be just fine with no heater till tomorrow when you get the thermometer and can see how warm the lowest setting makes the water.

Don't stress, you're doing a good job :)
Old 05-28-2013, 10:52 PM   #19 
Kalari32

How long until he begins to be okay?

The stuff i put in the water is a conditioner (like prime, neutralizes annommia) but also has a stress coat.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:56 PM   #20 
Starfish1

He should start perking up now that he has clean water and even more when you have his heater on and the thermometer in.

You're in Texas right? so I don't picture the water being TOO cold at this time of year. Just make sure you keep up on those water changes and get your heater set up and everything should be okay. He doesn't appear to have anything else wrong with him from the picture you posted so just keep up with what you're doing.

Last edited by Starfish1; 05-28-2013 at 11:00 PM.