Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #31 
Fenghuang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone View Post
I have not tried to do a specific biotope for any fish as of yet, I might attempt one for the licorice gouramis, but I always do try to Do thing at minimum generically mimic what kinds of conditions a fish is native too, after my giant died in my 46 gal I made some adjustments to that tnak because most of the fish in it are river fish species that are used to current, so instead of adding just a wave maker for current I made what I term as a "powered sponge filter" is a power head that sucks its water through a sponge filter to add more current in the tank, all the fish seem to approve and play in the current, the one fish that is truely adapted for the current is the hillstream loach, he though only sometimes mocks the other fish in the high current as he sits sucked to the glass going haha I am not even trying, he mostly hangs out on the back glass of the tank where the current is not as strong and well all the fish only "play" or swim in it for short bits of time
I am really nitpicky and particular about certain things like this, so I think all my tanks will end up being biotopes of different natural lakes and rivers (or at least regions if I can narrow it down). xD Fish, shrimps, snails, and all. I can't remember the small species of Southeast Asian schooling fish someone here mentioned, but I want to try it. Did your gouramis get along with your betta? I had a few different species of gouramis in the past and I like them, but I never attempted them with bettas and I know it's an iffy combo.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #32 
Kiara1125

Driftwood IS pricey! I heard of people collecting driftwood from trees by them such as ash and mangrove. And ROFL @ Elvis! My crown tail, who actually has long fins, loves to play in the sponge filter. He'll dart down by the base and float back up. It's at full power (like the water is boiling) and he loves playing in it.

Perseusmom, may we continue with the biotype topic? It's somewhat related and its very interesting to me.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #33 
Kiara1125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenghuang View Post
I am really nitpicky and particular about certain things like this, so I think all my tanks will end up being biotopes of different natural lakes and rivers (or at least regions if I can narrow it down). xD Fish, shrimps, snails, and all. I can't remember the small species of Southeast Asian schooling fish someone here mentioned, but I want to try it. Did your gouramis get along with your betta? I had a few different species of gouramis in the past and I like them, but I never attempted them with bettas and I know it's an iffy combo.
That's cool! I should totally grab some blue gill and small mouth bass and copy Lake Michigan. lol anyways, yes. My bettas (both males and females) flared at my gouramis, but they settled down within a month and were swimming side by side with no problem. They would pretty much sleep/rest next to each other and be fine. I've had 4 female bettas and 3 males with 2 dwarf gouramis. (All at different times, of course :P)
Old 05-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #34 
Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenghuang View Post
I have never owned any kind of goouramis wait thinks back,,,I had a paor of pink kissing ones years ago, but no never with bettas, I am more interested in the Licorice gouramis due to their plight of being on the verge of becoming non-existant in the wild, it is a shame for such a beautiful fish, they are special needs fish need lower ph and hardness, and live food so basically special water and a supply of live food but you can keep a pair in a 10 gallon, they bubble nest just like bettas and behave prettty much the same the male will stay with the nest and protect it the female will also protect the area as well
Stone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #35 
Kiara1125

I've heard that kissing gouramis are pretty aggressive with their tankmates. What was it like for you?
Old 05-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #36 
Stone

They were in a 10 gal by themselves, but they were cool looking and fun to watch
Stone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #37 
Bombalurina

I have an Amazon biotope set up at the moment. Current stock is 6 ember tetras. I'm planning on adding two more, plus 8 pygmy cories. I'm debating whether or not to sacrifice the biotope and add in some betta channoides, or just keep it as is with nothing that will eat the shrimp (they don't belong in the biotope, but they're a pain to catch).
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #38 
LittleBettaFish

*whispers* channoides, channoides
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #39 
Bombalurina

I do want them, LBF, I do, but they'll scoff my shrimp! :( I like my shrimp!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #40 
Kiara1125

xD *puts up a divier* Problem solved! Oh wait ... my RCS climb over the dividers. They go to the top and flip themselves over. O.o xD