Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2013, 11:37 PM   #1 
crowntaillove3

What to add...

Hi guys! So, I recently discovered that I have 5 square inches of fish that I can add! I think I might go over (I already started a thread on how to successfully get away with overstocking) and I want to know what would be some good choices. I have the 15 gallon Aqueon Deluxe column, and I have one dwarf gourami, three sarape tetras (I've heard that they cand be kind of aggressive, is this true?) one female guppy, and two mystery snails. I do a 33-50% water change each week, the temp stays at about 75, and it is cycled. I have hard water. I also have the filter that the tank came with, but I would be willing to get a backup filter if I overstock. I have one anubias plant and the rest are fake.
All are healthy. If you need any more info on the tank just ask! Thanks.
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:20 AM   #2 
trilobite

Get some more guppies coz yours is lonely. They like to live in groups. Get a male and some more females and youll have a constant supply of live food for your fish lol
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:24 AM   #3 
Bombalurina

Alternatively, get rid of the guppy as they prefer harder, alkaline water and all the other fish prefer soft acidic water, then add peat moss to bring your water down. Then get three more serpaes, as they are schooling fish and will be stressed (making them more likely to fall ill/exhibit nipping behaviour). :)

Alternatively, rehome the soft water fish and focus on your guppies.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:21 AM   #4 
crowntaillove3

Well, when I got the tetras, they were labeled as the long fin red minor tetras, but their fins aren't long enough. I did some research, and the sarape tetra looked a TON more like my fish. I have three male guppies in a different tank, one female guppy that is lonely, but I DON'T want to breed. So I think I will get some more female guppies and some more tetras. So three more tetras, three more guppies, and that will do it! Unless I could get away with less of one group and one or two solitary fish... And I meant CUBIC inches left.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #5 
crowntaillove3

Instead of having six sarapes could I have four or five sarapes and one or two platies? Based on my research they can be kept solitary.

Edit: when I said SOLITARY, I meant a fish that doesn't have to be kept with others of its kind but CAN live with other community fish.

Last edited by crowntaillove3; 05-29-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #6 
crowntaillove3

New plan! When it's all said and done, I want my tank to have...
4 female guppies
5 sarape tetras
1 sunburst platy
1 dwarf gourami
2 golden mystery snails
Right now I have...
1 female guppy
3 sarape tetras
1 dwarf gourami
2 golden mystery snails
Would this work for my tank? Thanks for all of the help!
Old 05-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

Platys are like guppies - social fish that should be in groups with their own kind. I'd go for 3 guppies and 3 platies. Again, though, that's still a mix of hard and soft water fish there - it would be better for the fish if you could split them into two tanks so you can cater for their needs.

Where did you get the cubic inch formula from? It sounds better than the inch thing, but still not a totally accurate rule. Would definitely account for bioload better, though, since fat-bodied fish *generally* produce more weight.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:36 PM   #8 
crowntaillove3

Today I read the sticky on stocking freshwater aquariums in the "Betta Fish Compatibility" section, and I'm altering and changing my plans. Update soon to come!
Old 05-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #9 
crowntaillove3

Okay, I need help with this. LOL, there's a reason I posted a thread asking for help! I've tried to figure out which fish are "hard water fish" and which are "soft water fish". Someone needs to make a sticky, PRONTO, about that! Like "Common Aquarium Fish Hardness Chart". And BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!!! I thought that I only had access to hard water, right? WRONG!! There is a water softener hooked up in my basement shower! I would be able to separate the fish based off of their needs!
Old 05-29-2013, 07:32 PM   #10 
trilobite

Get 2 tanks. One for your softies and one for the hardies
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote