Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2013, 02:03 AM   #1 
tehee

Am I seeing things or is he actually sick?!

I just got my veiltail 5 days ago and moved him into a tank a day later. I swear his fins are becoming more spiky instead of webbed. However, the spikes are not torn, instead the fins seem "even," and I believe that the fins are shrinking, making the spines "longer". Or perhaps it is the other way around, and that it is growing spines (highly highly doubt this though). All I know is I don't remember the fins being like this, and now they are ):
Am I being paranoid? I have virtually no experience with fish, and am a completely new betta owner (long story short, mom brought him home on a whim in a tiny palm size bowl, thinking it would be a pretty decoration and could not understand why I was so horrified).

Here are some pictures (had to distract the silly boy with a pen to get him still enough)

I just noticed that the pictures do not enlarge for some reason... Here is the album where I uploaded the picture to see them close up http://swixxoh.imgur.com/all/

I guess it could be important to note that he still seems to be doing well and is active, very quick to eat off my finger, and lets me pet him (even swims into my fingers when I cup them and rests there!). I do make sure to spend a long time washing my hands and several minutes just rinsing them before I do this. I also pre-dip my finger in tank water before putting a food pellet on it.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5g
What temperature is your tank? 76-78 F
Does your tank have a filter? yes, Aqueon Mini Bow Filter
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? uhm.. no ): lots of plants?
Is your tank heated? Tetra submersible heater (not adjustable)
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? mini bag of mystery pellets that came with the betta from the pet store
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 times a day, one pellet each time

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Have not yet, but planning to do 50% twice a week
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Microbe-Lift Cycling & Water Conditioning Kit

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
No, planning to go buy tests tomorrow

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Last edited by tehee; 05-29-2013 at 02:21 AM.
tehee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:09 AM   #2 
keepsmiling

You need to be performing water changes and testing the water. It's pretty hard to see those tiny pics, but it's also impossible to guess what could be happening without water parameters. I suggest doing 50% water changes a day, especially until you can test with titration test kits.
keepsmiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:21 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

In a 2.5G - 50% a day changes is too much. You really only need to do 2 a week. One 100% and one 50%.

I cant see the pics but if his tail is starting to look like a crowntail, he may be bitting his fins. They do that for several reasons- stress, bored, tail too heavy or simply because they can. if you can figure out why he is doing it, you may be able to stop the behavior, if that is what is going on. In the meantime, keep the water clean and warm so fin rot won't develop. Stress coat or krodon fish protector can help the fins regrow if the bitting stops.

Keep an eye on it to make sure nothing funky is going on as there is an illness that starts out with detoriating fins that rapidly progrsses to the body and the fish is dead in 24 hours.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:29 AM   #4 
tehee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
In a 2.5G - 50% a day changes is too much. You really only need to do 2 a week. One 100% and one 50%.

I cant see the pics but if his tail is starting to look like a crowntail, he may be bitting his fins. They do that for several reasons- stress, bored, tail too heavy or simply because they can. if you can figure out why he is doing it, you may be able to stop the behavior, if that is what is going on. In the meantime, keep the water clean and warm so fin rot won't develop. Stress coat or krodon fish protector can help the fins regrow if the bitting stops.

Keep an eye on it to make sure nothing funky is going on as there is an illness that starts out with detoriating fins that rapidly progrsses to the body and the fish is dead in 24 hours.
I have the tank right next to me when I sit at the computer, and I have never seen him bite himself. Also, the fins do not look like they've been nibbled; the edges are smooth and even.

It seems that I can no longer edit my first post (sorry for the terrible image sizing) here is a new link to my photo album with proper sizing http://imgur.com/a/inAVP#0

Last edited by tehee; 05-29-2013 at 02:37 AM.
tehee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:14 AM   #5 
keepsmiling

He looks fine to me. I still suggest you get some API test kits and see what the parameters are, regardless.
keepsmiling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin melt, fin rot, veiltail