Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2008, 07:49 AM   #11 
Kim

I have an azoo palm filter for a 5.5 gallon and it works great for bettas. It will work in your 2.5 gal as well. Also, it has an adjustable flow so you can turn it way down and it hardly creates any current at all. Are you doing full or partial water changes? If you are doing full, you can just rip the filter out of the tank when you clean it and your betta will have more room to swim. I would not get the mini heater as it doesn't have a thermostat and will cause major temp. fluctuations if not kept in a room with a steady temperature. Also, it will not likely heat the tank to 78 degrees in the winter. I would get the smallest (25 watt) heater that you can find that has a thermostat. If you are looking on drsfostersmith.com, they have some there. Good luck.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:45 PM   #12 
MADxMAC771

From what I hear the Azoo is great but hard to find in local retail locations. I found one a walmart under the brand Whisper for 2-5 gallon tanks that works great. The filter itself it about 10 and replacement filters are cheap... maybe 2 bucks each. Check it out.
MADxMAC771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:06 PM   #13 
Arlie

Darn, I just wrote a long reply to you all and then lost it before it could post. Don't you just hate that??
Ok the small 7.5 heater is out and I will look for the 25w one. Most of the heaters I have seen online are so big and ugly but I guess it is more important to have a happy fish in a clean tank than a pretty one.
You will laugh at me but last night I wrapped the tank in a thick bath towel to keep the water warmer but left plenty of air space of course.
This Azoo filter sounds good and will do a much better job than the air pump I have now with the air stone on the end of the tubing. I took a small clothes pin and clamped the plastic tubing part way so the air flow and current are not as strong now, a good temporary fix until I can go exchange the flow regulators I bought or get the Azoo, will check out our Walmart and Petco for that.
Thanks all
Arlie
Arlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:32 PM   #14 
Arlie

Cool small heater

Hi again
How does this mini heater look for my 2.5gal
aquarium?
http://www.aquatichouse.com/Pumps_files/heaters.asp

Arlie
Old 11-13-2008, 12:31 AM   #15 
iamntbatman

I have a couple of those in various tanks. Great heaters.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:22 PM   #16 
Arlie

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADxMAC771 View Post
With the current problem you can bend the air pump hose over on itself and tape it in place to reduce the air flow. Dont cinch it shut but pinch it so less air gets through and then brace it in that position. I did that with mine that was also pumping too hard. Another way is to poke just one small pin sized hole (maybe two) in the air hose right near the pump. This will reduce the air pressure in the intake and in turn reduce current.
Hi Max
I just installed an air regulator valve in the plastic airline between the pump and the air stone. It has a screw that opens and closes to adjust how much air flows through and into the tank. Works very well and only cost 90c. This way there is no pressure on the pump to wear it out faster.
Bought a mini submersible heater , 10w,too and I'm going to install that now. I had a clothes pin on the line until now as there was not enough plastic tubeing to bend it as you suggested.
"=)
Arlie
Old 11-13-2008, 05:24 PM   #17 
Arlie

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamntbatman View Post
I have a couple of those in various tanks. Great heaters.
hi
I bought that Marineland mini submersible heater and will install it today. Looks good to me also.
Thanks
Arlie