Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2013, 09:46 AM   #1 
Catw0man

Planning a Sorority

I've begun "collecting" females to go into a sorority tank that I'm planning to set up in the near future. My question is (and it may be a dumb one....but don't laugh)......are female plakats compatible with HM or VT females? I know nothing about plakats.....e.g. whether or not they are more aggressive generally (maybe I just THINK they're more aggressive because, to me, they look less frilly and "pretty" then their long-finned counterparts).

So far I've only bought HM or VT females (which are currently housed separately, but will eventually go together in the sorority). But I'm LOVING some of the female HMPK's......would I be ok to buy some and combine them in the sorority with the other girls?
Catw0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #2 
crowntaillove3

I don't see why not. I think it would work, but I'm not very experienced. Can someone back me up?
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #3 
Nothingness

I don't see a problem. With any sorority its a crap shoot that they will all get along. Just make sure your tank is 10+g and you have at least 6 females ready to go and lots of plants to help break sight lines when the chasing happens.

When I started my sorority in my 55g tank with 20 females I made sure I had all the ladies prior to releasing any into the tank. This helped to prevent any serious territory disputes. and also gave all the ladies an opportunity to establish the hierarchy in the tank. Best of luck as these tanks are amazing
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #4 
Deanna01

BettySplendens.com has a great article on sororities, and she does note that plakats and crowntails tend to be more aggressive than the others (as do reds). Usually they will be higher up on the totem pole, she says:

Quote:
Other aggressive female bettas are plakats and crowntails. They seem to get meaner faster than longfinned varieties, and can fight longer and more viciously. This is by no means said to discourage you from your female community tank plans, just to give you a heads up. The personalities of all females are different, and should be dealt with on an individual basis.
You should definitely read the whole article!
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #5 
Catw0man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna01 View Post
BettySplendens.com has a great article on sororities, and she does note that plakats and crowntails tend to be more aggressive than the others (as do reds). Usually they will be higher up on the totem pole, she says:

You should definitely read the whole article!
Thank you so much! I will do that!
Old 05-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #6 
MistersMom

I have a plakat female in my sorotity, shes fine in there. she just kinda swimsaround like a shark in a tank full of minnows, like she's boss, but she doesnt want aything to do with them.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

I have two HMPKs, a PK and a longfin VT in my sorority. They're all just as badass as each other.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #8 
crowntaillove3

Lol
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:30 PM   #9 
peachii

I have 3 crowntails, 3 plakats (mutts from wal-mart) and the rest veiltails and they all get along just fine. One of the plakats is a larger size than the other fish and the Alpha boss of the tank is my Oldest crowntail that was the first female betta we purchased.

They make such a lovely tank, I'd recommend a sorority tank to anyone thinking of having bettas.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:08 PM   #10 
Catw0man

Here are the females I already have for my sorority. So far 5 total, 4 from Aquabid and 1 from the LFS (not pictured):
Attached Images